Ducks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducks?

Is this the right place for ducks? Is there even a place for ducks? Have got some chickens (who are fab.) but have just organised getting two apricot call ducks. Am so excited and needl someone who will understand, not people who just roll their eyes and start talking about tennis!.

Call ducks are fun. Apricot sounds nice (not sure exactly what it means in ducks, but should be pretty). They don't call them 'call ducks' for nothing. They tend to be a bit noisy, having been derived as living decoys for duck shooters (which is why whole-coloured ones are traditional).
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'd never heard of them, so had a Google: "Call ducks are lively and talkative. If you are thinking about keeping a few Call ducks make sure you ask your neighbours first. They are clean, tidy birds and if provided with clean water and good food will keep themselves in good condition. They are also easily tamed." Omlet UK | Breed Information | Ducks | Call Duck

My auntie used to have a few ducks waddling round her garden, they were really cute. I'm a bit squeamish about eating duck eggs though, they taste a bit too rich & creamy to me.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Call Ducks are the 'bantams' of the duck world, much smaller than 'normal' ducks. They can be very friendly (if they are expecting food) and do have a lot of personality, but they are certainly talkative!

Comment

There will be one comedian in the flock, he/she will tell jokes and funny stories causing all the others to suddenly burst into laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken George View Post
            There will be one comedian in the flock, he/she will tell jokes and funny stories causing all the others to suddenly burst into laughter.
            Going by the call ducks I have seen, that one is VERY busy. They always seem to be laughing. Maybe they just think humans are funny.....

Comment

I own four call ducks, and i have just posted a post On my own thread "Duck entertainment: any ideas from chook owners?" It has absolutly TONNES and TONNES of info. Get over there, quick!
              Qwerty

Save the earth- its the only planet with campervans!

Comment

Thanks all - have asked the neighbours, am digging the pond, just need to collect the ducks now!

Comment

I love ducks, great fun to watch. good luck
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hi there, We have recently bought 2 runner ducks to provide fresh eggs. One of the raised beds is now a gravel run for their eglu. They are great fun to watch, they have a plastic shell paddling pool to splash in, and they race around the grass. They eat the weeds so I am encouraged to keep the veg patch weeded, and they eat snails and slugs- I am considering asking the neighbours for theirs! They also provide plenty of manure for the compost heap!
                    The garden seems much more interesting now. Have fun with your call ducks,
                    Janet
                    Janet Woodyatt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X