Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea fowl

Has anyone ever had these or got them??

We are thinking of having a few and wondered how they get on with hens and how their care differs??
    Eggs and/or meat - or both????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Not owned any, but had a neighbour who did for a while. I think they need a slightly different balance in the feed (got a feeling she used turkey rations for them), and I do know that unless they are REALLY tame, or kept in a roofed enclosure, they get to where the only way to retrieve them is with a shotgun......
    Meat mainly, but maybe some eggs. The egg shells are very tough to break.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

we've had a guinea fowl arrive in our garden - no idea where it comes from but I have seen them wandering the curbside on the road out of the village (no houses in the area) it appears to want to join the chickens as it follows them around... I'm happy for it to stay, but have no idea what it's requirements are... anyone any ideas??
      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I have never kept them myself but know people who have. Guinea fowl are extremely noisy and like to roost in trees. The best way to manage them is to let them free range and do their own thing. They are very good at pest control in the garden. I don't think they would be very practical in a small garden and I don't think they would be happy to be confined in the way that a lot of people keep hens. But if you have plenty of space for them to wander, then go for it. They are very pretty birds (and taste good if you get tired of them!)

Comment

Gawd Nicos don't go there.

Next door have guinea fowl, they luckily have a couplea hundred acres, was speaking to Sarah (their mum) at dinner the other night about them.

They only have one or two brain cells each, are useless mums, and will wander anywhere. They roost in the trees and no way can she get close, she only has them as ornaments as they are pretty useless for anything else
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

...and they stink!

Well, the ones I knew did!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I think you've managed to put me off!!!!

..more chooks then eh???
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I thought they were very noisy when disturbed. I went to a Poultry place in mid Wales and he kept them as a burglar alarm!

Comment

Yep that's right they are noisy too, right move Nicos methinks
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

They're delicious casseroled with red wine and mushrooms
                    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                      They're delicious casseroled with red wine and mushrooms
                      Aaaaah! I knew they must HAVE a use LOL
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

mum used to have some, very noisy, very stupid, roost at the highest point they could find, crap mothers - good for fox bait she reckoned!
                        My Blog
                        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X