Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Pecking' your brains for advice!

Hi Folks,

Brand new to the site, I'm afraid, and a complete chicken novice! I have read most of your interesting posts, but STILL feel the need to ask a couple of questions of my own. Please forgive me if I am repeating some of the questions already asked, but I am anxious about starting off on the wrong foot!

I have recently been offered some chickens by a friend of the family (the current owner is considering sending them to the chicken coop in the sky! ) So, after 'considering' keeping chickens for years, I have finally decided to accept these girls. However, I don't know where to start, in terms of building the coop, etc.

I have researched lots on ebay, etc, but to be honest I'm amazed at the price of them...I simply can't afford £250 for a run. Plus, they are all much smaller than the space I have allocated to them in the garden. So, perhaps if I tell you what's available you can confirm whether or not I'm going along the right lines?

I have an area 5ft by 11ft available for them to use (I have been offered 6 hens in total, but do not want to short change them space wise, so...how many chicks do you believe to be acceptable in this size space?) - this area would need to have a static house and run built on it as I'm not able to use other areas of my garden (unless they're free ranging for a supervised period). This area at present is lovely, healthy grass...which I have read they can destroy toot sweet! So, should I retain the grass, and just combat the problem as and when they destroy it?

My cousin is a joiner, and as such has offered to built me a coop to order if I can provide him with a picture of what I want. I've seen a few I like the look of, but would REALLY appreciate advice/suggestions on this matter. I've read lots, so have an idea what I need inside their house, but again...advice from the experts would make me so much more comfortable about the whole experience!

Phew - I realise I've chattered on and on, but I want to ensure I give these girls the best life possible!

Thanks in advance for ANY advice you can give me!

An anxious almost chicken owner

B xox
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Hi and welcome to the vine

You sound as if you have plenty of space for 6 girls to scrabble around in and be happy. Basically, all a coop needs is ventilation, some perches and a nest box. Many of us have converted sheds, rabbit hutches, dog kennels etc and the chooks are more than happy! Make sure that there is a locking pop-hole so that the chooks can get in and out during the day to go and lay their eggs, and put themselves to bed at night. Lock it up at night so that Mr Fox can't get at them. Obviously ready made coops are designed for ease of maintainence, it's not funny trying to get all the poo and eggs out of a kennel If possible, have a hinged roof, that makes life a bit easier.

I'm sure some other grapes will be along soon to give you more suggestions. Best of luck, and enjoy watching your girls
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thanks Maureen! Any advice is very much appreciated - I need a 'chicken for dummies' guide! I know I'll be fine when they arrive, but I like to be prepared for all eventualities (if at all possible!!)

I've just realised that it was you who lost Rose! I have to be honest, I had a wee lump in my throat when I read your thread!

B x

Comment

As Maureen said a coop can be made from a number of different things~ours was our shed!As you said they will soon turn the lush grass to bare earth!!we throw down a load of straw for them~both to scratch around in & to prevent it from becoming too muddy.Our plan in spring is to gradually section off different parts of the run to allow the grass to regrow(even if it only lasts a week!!~apparently it helps to prevent a build up of parasites growing on the bare earth.We also turn the soil in different parts regularly so they can get more grubs/worms etc~they love it & as soon as they see me with spade in hand they go mad!!~As I use the spade also to clean out the coop it makes fun cleaning~10 mad excited hens in the way!!!
        Finally best of luck!!If we can do it!!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hi B,

I am sure you will find that once you have your girls in you will wonder why you didn't do it before. When we took ours in they were also from a friend who no longer wanted them, as they were destroying her garden. We were lucky to get their coop with them. I would suggest any dry well ventilated area with nest boxes and perches will do. I have seen some people gone all out and bought an eglu with all the trimmings and I have also seen some girls roosting in an old shed on an allotement. All chickens have seemed happy.

On the space side we started with a small run which then became larger as the girls seemed more interested in what was outside their run. They now have full use of our back garden and still that is not enough. They now want to be in the kitchen.

Good luck with your girls!

Comment

Hi, welcome to the vine!
            Do the people giving you the hens have a coop they could give you too?
            Will your joiner charge you for making the house? Even if he just asks for expenses it's quite a lot of wood you may need. It is well worth having a look at small sheds or on freecycle as this may be a cheaper option!
            Inside a shed you need nestboxes (1 per 3 birds, but I'd go with 3 for 6 birds to give them the choice!) and a perch (higher than the nestboxes), for poo cleaning the area under the perch will get mucky so a removable board you can scrape into a bucket is helpful. Ventilation can be a window with chicken wire over. Felt on the roof can be dodgy (harbours mites) so onduline (Wickes) on the roof. A pophole with a foxproof door. To clean it is so much easier to be able to stand inside or at least have some way of opening the house.
            The run needs to be fenced in with weldmesh/chicken wire this needs to be 5/6 ft high and buried in the ground to stop naughties digging under. A gate with locks and a couple of paving slabs to go under the gate. My chickens have destroyed the grass, but the have enjoyed doing it, so keep it for them?
            You will also need a feeder, drinker (reasonably big so you don't have to top up constantly), container for grit and oystershell and layers pellets/mash. And it's worth getting wormer and mite powder if the chicken shop is a drive away as you don't want to be unable to get there if you find they have mites...

Comment

Thanks for the replies people!

You have assured me that I actually do have a tiny wee bit of an idea about what to do in preperation for the girls arrival! I think because they're a species I've never dabbled in before I just feel terror at the prospect of them relying on me for survival, and I might let them down by not being up for the challenge!!

My cousin (the joiner) says he'll build the 'house' and run for free, plus he has lots of spare wood, so he doesn't think he will have a problem finding enough materials to complete a chicken paradise! Of course, with me being a girl (and a fussy one at that), I'll want it to all be matching wood, etc...lol. On a serious note however, we will be looking at the coop from our lounge window, so I would like something aesthetically pleasing so I won't feel like I'm living with Ned Clampett.

One other thing I'm concerned about is the neighbours...I live in an old cottage, but we do have neighbours next to us. I know it's not a problem to keep chickens in my backyard, I just wonder if they'll be noisy or smelly for the neighbours. Have any of you had any problems with that? I mean, is this something I should even worry about? I don't really speak with my neighbours (not that we're not friendly, we're just hermits and tend to keep ourselves to ourselves, apart from the odd smile when we're unloading our shopping from the car!) but I am planning on keeping them sweet with eggs, if, and when the girlies decide to lay!

I think I'm excited...is it sad I've already picked names?? lol...typical woman thing to do I'd suspect! Still, they'll be part of my family, so they need to have an identity!

B xox

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                Hi, welcome to the vine!
                Do the people giving you the hens have a coop they could give you too?...................
                Or as uttered in these parts "Shy bairns get nowt"
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Re the neighbours, we were also very shy of telling ours prior to the chooks arrival, so we didn't (same as you, we get on fine, just don't see much of them and it seemed an odd thing to go round and tell them in advance.) We did call the council and were told that the only thing that would cause them problems is if we either had a cockeral, or didn't keep on top of hygiene and thus created a smell. Both of these things will bring complaints from neighbours.
                  In the event one of our girls escaped from the chicken ark on day 2 and immediately scooted into.... you've guessed it..... next door! They actually turned out to be delighted and enchanted with their visitor (who we went round and confessed to) and between us we persuaded her back to join her sisters. We've also promised them eggs when ours start laying. Advice is to tell the neighbours first, but if you decide not to then try not to let any escape before they've started laying!

Comment

Oh my...you'll never guess what?? The girls aren't available anymore! The person won't tell me what happened, but as he was already threatening it I'm guessing he's sent them to the big chicken coup in the sky!

So, the choices I have left are...do I just forget it (even though I've arranged a second hand shed to renovate, etc!) or do I just source a breeder nearby and go for it regardless of the let down?

If I do go for it...what is be best breed? Any suggestions welcome!

B x

Comment

Please consider having some ex battery hens. I decided to after watching Jamie Oliver on TV showing the dreadful conditions battery hens live in. You won't regret it. I waste most of my day now either watching my girls flourish or reading this forum looking for tips, help and information.

Comment

I'd definitely consider ex battery hens. Where do I find out if there are any in my area? I know there is a website, but cannot remember it!

Comment

Battery Hen Welfare Trust

Look up your area and it will show who to contact and maybe when the next rescue is, you'll need to put your name down on their waiting list.
                          I got my lovely girls from there

Comment

I love the idea of battery hens...I've sent an email to the co-ordinator in my area. I notice it says that they have a 40-50% production rate. Is this generally the case? What are your experiences?

I was initially offered 6 birds, but think I may go for 3 to start with - I'm building my coup big enough for 6-8, but wanted to start off small scale until I get the 'feel' for the little girlies!

B x

Comment

40 - 50% production rate means that they won't necessarily be laying as many eggs as the battery farmer wants. I get on average about 5 - 6 eggs a day from my 9 girls, not as many as some but more than others. 5 eggs a day is more than enough for me so after I've supplied friends and family, if I have any left over I sell them at £1 for 6 and the money goes into my "chicken food" pot.
                              When you do get your ex-battery girls, you'll never regret your decision, and the look of wonderment on their faces is an experience not to be missed when they have their first taste of freedom
                              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X