***** fluid powder?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***** fluid powder?

Do you think I will be alright freshening up the chook house with a sprinkling of this each time I clean it out? ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 28th August 2008Was told to mix a weak mix of ***** Fluid up and give it a squirt after each clean up, but this seems handy, a bit like shake and vac..........just frightened it may linger and cause unforseen problems!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Don't know about ***** and chickens but did our path with ***** Fluid to kill the moss and next day found a dead frog and lizard so won't chance it again. I spray Virkons disinfectant around the coop and then shake Barrier red mite powder around which has a strong smell anyway. (I was advised to do this by lady at Scats.)

Comment

***** shoud be all right if
      a) it is in liquid form (powder may get where not wanted, eg in the feed)
      b) it gets the chance to dry out, so no 'fumes' when the chooks get near the cleaned area.
      I wouldn't use the powder if it is going to stay there, but it might be OK in a 'shake'n'vac' approach.
      Last edited by Hilary B; 25-08-2008, 08:43 PM.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hmmmmm don't think I'd risk it - it's potent stuff! The chooks might accidentally eat some of it
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Fair do's..........I aint gunna chance it then!

How about, after I've cleaned up the poop under the perch each day if I give a blast of well diluted liquid ***** from a hand held squirty thing then?
          Last edited by Snadger; 25-08-2008, 08:49 PM.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I would keep the girls away for a while (perhaps not long) after applying *****, but that is just my approach, and it is years since I had hens (restrictive covenants here). Using a squirty thing on 'freshly depooed' area, and keeping them out for (say) half-an-hour afterwards sounds like a workable option.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

i remember when my grandparents had chickens, we always washed it out with ***** fluid, and it never seemed to do them any harm ...... i love the smell, it smells so clean, mind you we painted the shed every year inside and out with creosote as well, but apparently that's not acceptable any more either.

but sprinkling powder, i'd be worried that they might eat it.

Comment

I wouldn't use ***** myself - IIRC, anything that goes cloudy in water contains phenols that can be poisonous! I use Milton Fluid (a big bottle of it that was on special offer in Tescos a while back) - if it's safe enough for babies' bottles, I reckon it should be fine for chickens, but it smells "disinfectanty" enough to be reassuring

Comment

Have you tried looking at your local farmers stores and see what they recommend?
                  For one thing, if you are trying to have an Organic lifestyle, ***** fluid would not be classed as organic.
                  I think Virkon is the most used one for poultry. It is used for Avian Flu control.

Approved by DEFRA against diseases of poultry order at a dilution of 1:280. Manufacturer's recommendation is to use it at 1:100. Completely safe for use around all animals and birds, in fact they can walk through it in a footbath too!
                  http://www.freewebs.com/notesfromtheplot/ **updated**

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X