First Egg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Egg

So excited, that I just had to tell everyone - we've finally had our first egg today! It's a beautiful chocolate brown and looks absolutely perfect (no soft shell or anything) - hardly dare to eat it in case it's not as good inside! Seems like we've been waiting ages as we got the chooks back in mid July, they must be about 26 weeks now - so for anyone else still waiting, yes it does happen in the end!

LOL it's a great feeling that first egg and for us the excitement of finding them is just as strong as it was in January when we got the chooks!

How many have got to share it?????

janeyo

ps it will be the BEST egg you have ever had, trust me
    Last edited by janeyo; 25-09-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Ha ha! We had to share ours betweent he 2 of us! Glad no one else was lurking at teh time to try and sneak some! Congrat's!!

Comment

Well done - at least, well done that hen!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I remember the excitement well..........the first egg!

Even took numerous photographs of it from different angles!

Well done both you and that chook!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We've got 2 to share it, and as it's from a bantam it's not huge.... actually there are 3 of us but the teenager says he's not eating something that came out of his chickens bottom, that's too gross.... so he says he'll only eat supermarket eggs! I think I've gone wrong with the parenting somewhere..... still never to late to put that right.

Comment

Congrats, enjoy, you'll never buy a supermarket egg again

Comment

Just tell him it's not it's bottom, it's a vent!

Is this a recent thing or has he never eaten things from chickens vents? lol

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I remember the excitement well..........the first egg!

Even took numerous photographs of it from different angles!

Well done both you and that chook!
                  What? The hard-boiled one?
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Congratulations on getting your first egg ,you have given me hope .lol
                    I only got my hens last saturday and although they are eating and drinking well and seemed to be settled they have not laid yet mind you they are only 21 weeks old so probably long way to go yet

Comment

Originally posted by emijade View Post
                      Congratulations on getting your first egg ,you have given me hope .lol
                      I only got my hens last saturday and although they are eating and drinking well and seemed to be settled they have not laid yet mind you they are only 21 weeks old so probably long way to go yet
                      Welcome to the vine emijade. You might be surprised how quickly the time goes and they grow up!! I've read a few threads on here that say that their chooks started laying at about 25 weeks, so possibly only another 3 - 4 weeks for yours . It depends on the breed though I think, what are yours?

Comment

Hi Maureen
                        My hens are Isa Warrens only got 3 due to space and this being my first time at keeping poultry .
                        They were 20 weeks old when I bought them last Saturday
                        I has a red coomb 1 has a sort of salmon pink and the other one has hardly even got a coomb to speak of abnd its quite pale .but they are all eating well and poo seems ok too so think I have a long wait ahead of me

Comment

Originally posted by emijade View Post
                          Hi Maureen
                          My hens are Isa Warrens only got 3 due to space and this being my first time at keeping poultry .
                          They were 20 weeks old when I bought them last Saturday
                          I has a red coomb 1 has a sort of salmon pink and the other one has hardly even got a coomb to speak of abnd its quite pale .but they are all eating well and poo seems ok too so think I have a long wait ahead of me
                          Just found this on a site:
                          "THE NEW ISA WARREN LAYER WILL BE SOLD, NOT AS CHICKS, BUT AS AT "POINT of LAY" PULLETS (17 WKS. & first eggs 3 to 4 wks. after)."
                          So it's possible yours could be starting to lay any day now, especially the one with the reddest comb Keep us posted, that first egg really is a treat

Comment

Wow, we've had 3 eggs now! Emijade, ours are Marans but are 26/27 weeks old, so don't be surprised if you do have to wait a few weeks - it seems like an enternity at the time but it is just such a lovely surprise when it does start happening. The one of ours that laid first (and may still be the only layer, not sure who laid the 2nd egg), has always had the biggest comb but all their combs have got much redder in the last week or so.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X