Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should I change from growers to layers pellets?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should I change from growers to layers pellets?

When I collected my Choocs I was told they where around 12 weeks, although I'd say they vary around 6 weeks in age looking at them (four girls).

I've had them 4 weeks now, so the largest one could stay laying any time soon.

When I collected the girls, the breader told me not to feed them on layers pellets but to feed them on growers pellets. Is there much difference in growers and layers pellets.

At the moment I feed them 40% growers pellets 10% layers pellets and 50% mixed corn, is this ok??? When should I put them on layers pellets and not growers pellets?

Cheers

Jimbo

They usually reckon at 18 weeks. They don't all lay at 18 weeks though. Some breeds can be up to 26 or so. There are different proportions of proteins and fats in growers and layers.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi,
      I was told mine were 18 -20 weeks when I bought them and they were already on layers, sorry, don't know any more than that! Someone experienced will be along soon!

Comment

Oo, Flummery beat me to it!!

Comment

There is a little difference in growers and layers pellets - some would say it doesn't matter but most people continue to feed growers until the recommended period (as posts above). I would say however you are feeding too much mixed corn - cut it out completely, or just give a very small handful in the evenings now it's getting colder at night. It's too fattening and can cause problems with oviduct (egg laying machinery) development. Yes, they love it, but it's not very healthy! They are a fair ways off laying still - 4 weeks is still only young for them.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

My new girls were already on layers pellets when I got them (17 weeks). Like others have said, cut out the corn and only give a little as a treat about an hour before bedtime so they go to bed with full tummies
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep them off the corn for the moment. If they complain I'll sent them your way!!
              Last edited by Jimster; 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Because I was wanting to beef up my lacklustre hybrids I had the idea of feeding them 50/50 growers and layers pellets. I was advised against it on another forum as I was told the growers pellets can taint and impart a 'taste' to the eggs! As mine were already laying I didn't bother.
                I've just stuck with layers and had no problems! As BW says mine get a handful of mixed corn between 10 of them as a treat, mainly to get them away from the gate so that I can get in!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Our younger two moved into the big run at about 17 weeks,which would be when they made the switch from grower to layers.Certainly doesn't seem to have done them any harm what so ever!They are massive!It was a few weeks later before they actually started laying.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I was always told keep them on growers until you get your first egg then putthem on layers

Comment

My wife thinks that one of our hens is too fat, I'm over protective so I wan't have any off it, but I think she may be right, she walks more like a duck than a chicken. I think it may look worse as she's not got her tail feathers yet.

what do you think she's the one on the far left in this photo, called Korma

Comment

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh she's not fat!! The others are standing tall that's all and she's squatting down a bit. Don't we always stand tall when looking in a full-length mirror to suck in our tums and bums? Well I do anyway
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

You should be able to easily feel her breast bone if she is the right weight - it should even stick out a little. It might be worth checking her because if she's been eating a lot of corn then it's possible she's overwieght. I agree that you can't necessarily tell that from the pic though, it could just be her posture as Maureen says.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Not sure what the breeds are but the brown ones look naturally slender,maybe it's just in comparison to them?~the very same reason why when I'm having a fat day I avoid standing anywhere near any skinny friends!!
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I have light sussex and black rocks. The black rocks are much lighter as they are not table birds, but my light sussex are all heavier set girls. She is not fat just doesn't know how to hold herself for photo's.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X