getting colder

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting colder

I am quite new to keeping hens in my garden and wondered if there was anything I should be doing to prepare them for the colder weather? I have 3 ISA hybrids in a raised Ark-type hut with a large enclosed run.

Someone told me I should bring them in for the winter!?? Is it necessary to put them in the shed or will extra bedding be enough?

They'll probably snuggle up together to keep warm. You could give them a bit of porridge in the mornings to warm them through, but don't cut down on their pellets ration. Just make sure that the water isn't frozen solid!!
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I give them porridge sometimes even now before bed and they love it!
      They eat it so fast it gets pushed up their beaks and is all gummy around their eyes.

I keep reading that it is important to keept their sleeping area well ventilated, but also that it should be draught free. Can there be one without the other?

Comment

Originally posted by jennybain View Post
        I give them porridge sometimes even now before bed and they love it!
        They eat it so fast it gets pushed up their beaks and is all gummy around their eyes.

I keep reading that it is important to keept their sleeping area well ventilated, but also that it should be draught free. Can there be one without the other?
        Yes, have the ventilation holes at the top on one side rather than lower down and on both sides
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X