How do I stop a Hen being Broody?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop a Hen being Broody?

Another one of my hens has gone broody, she is a Speckledy which is around 7 months old. What do I do? Help

Ask Snadger One of his was broody and we all bullied him into getting some eggs for her to hatch out - should be ready in a few days!! Actually I don't think he needed much persuading. I want one of mine to be broody so she can hatch some eggs as well
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I don't want another broody, just hatched 5 chicks with another hen. I read that she needs dunking in a bucket of cold water, it sounds cruel & silly in this cold weather.

Comment

Apparently you have to keep them cool by putting in a wire cage suspended off the ground so she has no inclination to sit!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

or you could have her for lunch ............ she could share some sandwiches

Comment

I've heard of someone who, when a hen displays broody tendencies, lifts her up and lets her fly down to the ground a few times. The air under their wings cools them down. Also a little house with a slatted floor will make her cool in the nether regions.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Oh flying to cool down sounds much kinder than the sin bin. (which didn't work with my broody anyway) They do get over it eventually but I found it very sad to see my girl sitting on an empty nest for over 3 weeks and losing weight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X