Porridge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porridge

I'd not fed mine porridge before this week, but seeing a couple of references to it, thought I'd try. All I can say is don't get between the porridge bowl and the chickens - stand back!
    Fascinating to watch their different eating habits, Betty craming down so much you'd think she'd choke, Enid taking dainty pecks, Dorothy, messily coating everything in the proximity in porridge and Barbara determined to peck her way through the bottom of the bowl.
    Be a good way to give them any medicines too, easy to disguise and they're so intent on eating, nothing ever gets left.
    Sue

Can't wait to get ours and try porridge then I assume you make it quite thick for them? Milk or water?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Hmmm,
      I might have a go with mine tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        I assume you make it quite thick for them? Milk or water?
        This was a question I have, do you make it with milk, water to leave it dry?

Comment

make it with water, it'll still thicken nicely, i usually put some chicken spice in too.
          My girls go crazy for it!!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Definitely water. You can add all sorts of stuff to it too. Potato peelings (cooked and mashed) apple peelings and cores (I cook mine) other cooked veg, sweetcorn etc. It puts a bit of fat on the chooks, but be careful, too much will make them overheat and they might start to moult - something you don't want them doing in the cold weather
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

When I make a veg peeling mash for mine, I chuck a couple of handfuls of oats in if it is still a bit watery.
              I'll echo Sue on the bit about not getting between them and the grub!!
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Yup, lovely and thick porridge now I read above to make it with water, as I've just been making extra in the morning for me and them and it's made with milk and water - is this a no-no?
                And also re the moulting, not wanting naked chickens in the cold weather is 20g of oats (dry weight) between four of them too much?
                Sue

Comment

I think basically treat the porridge as a treat, keep them on their usual food ration and give the porridge as extra. Giving it in the morning though does warm them up for the day, so I'd give a little bit, see how they go with their other food then increase as you see fit
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X