How much Apple Cider Vinegar

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Apple Cider Vinegar

I have only had my ex-batts 5 months but have been plagued by worms. Used Verm-X twice with no effect and then Flubenvet, good result but then worms were back within 3 weeks. Anyway have just finished worming again and want to do all I can to prevent re-infestation. Now using a couple of Garlic cloves in large water container and have put Apple Cider Vinegar in a bunny water bottle. The girls seem to prefer that. The bottle hold 600mls and so far I have put 5 mls ACV in. Is this enough? Instructions on container says how much for a horse but difficult to know how many chickens make a horse! Also is it OK to use every day or is it a once a week thing?

Some people use the cider vinegar all the time, or 3 weeks out of 4. They seem to use a teaspoon to a litre or so in a drinker. (I read a lot of chicken forums!) I gather that Verm-X is more of an inhibitor - makes the gut environment hostile to worms so infection can't get hold so easily. Flubenvet actually kills them when they've got a hold. I'd use the cider vinegar in the water fairly often after a successful flubenvet dosing - did you give it to them every day for a week? The garlic is supposed to deter lice and mites.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery. I used Flubenvet for 8 days to be sure this time. I will use cider vinegar in bunny bottle every day as girls seem to like drinking out of it anyway. I guess they had something similar to drink water out of in the battery cage. As bottle is just over half a litre perhaps 5ml is too much. They do drink water out of large drinker as well plus always put a bowl of water in garden if they are freeranging. I know that they get worms from snails,eathworms etc but I do seem to be worming more than most. I'm getting really expert at examining poo!

Comment

Can you put garlic and cider vinegar in the drinking water? Ours is just a standard drinker, hanging up at beak level, and the girls seem to really like the taste of cider vinegar, which I'm putting in at a rate of about 5ml per litre. Can I stick a couple of cloves in, do people think?
        Last edited by Hashette; 15-10-2008, 12:38 PM.
        http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

I can't see why not. Give them a bash first so the oils seep out.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hi frias, just a quick question about your chooks drinking out of a bunny bottle..? this sound like the answer to my prayers as mine are constantly filling their drinker with mud and worse... are you talking about one of those little bottles with a metal spout with a ball at the bottom that lets the water out when it's tapped..? did you need to train them to use it? and if so how? or did they pick it up quite easily? would be great to be able to clip a couple of them to the outside of the run so I can keep the water clean (and sort it out easily, my 3 ex-batts are rather excitable so just popping in to replace the water when they're in the run is never quick and easy, they always think it's time to play or get food or go for a run round the garden which is not ideal if you're just about to head to work...)
            I have a dream:
            a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Hi Becca, yes I just got a 600ml bottle with the spout and ball. Wilkinson £1.19. It might be possible to find larger sizes somewhere. I fix it to the outside of the run with the spout inside and the girls Knew what to do straight away. I didn't even show it to them.I am sure they must have a similar method in the battery cage. I know what you mean about mud and worse in the drinker. I started with bowls which were continually stepped in, then got a green/white drinker on legs but water still gets dirt in. I tried it because putting apple cider vinegar in any other drinker seemed such a waste when I'm constantly changing the water.

Comment

i was thinking of getting something like this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Auto-Drinker...d=p3286.c0.m14
                as it's automatic you don't have to change water so often, and they can't climb in it, and you can put the stuff in the canister ....... i'm just trying to work out how to attach one to the mains, so i don't need to change it at all
                Last edited by lynda66; 15-10-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

sounds like it might be work a go then will pick one up at the petshop on saturday.. at the moment their water just gets full of juck almost immediately which can't be good for them, it's no wonder that they seem to prefer drinking out of the pond when they get the chance...
                  I have a dream:
                  a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X