Delicate subject!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delicate subject!!!!!

I am preparing myself to sacrifice (better word than kill) the cocks. Can anyone tell me how old they should be before I do the deed?

Thanks
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Not a clue Roitelet, however, I would go with heavy enough to be worth it but not so old you need to boil them for a week When we reared table birds they were 12 weeks old but they were bred specifically for rapid weight gain.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      .............................. When we reared table birds they were 12 weeks old but they were bred specifically for rapid weight gain.
      I've just bought some 14 week old pullets and you wouldn't even get a decent chicken sarnie off them!

I reckon it depends on the breed, how they were reared (fattened) and how tough you want your meat!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Generally about 20 weeks. No good keeping them longer if they are a laying variety, they'll be rubbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          I've just bought some 14 week old pullets and you wouldn't even get a decent chicken sarnie off them!
          ROFL, my first laugh of the morning, thanks Snadger
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I would go with 20 weeks. If they aren't a decent size by then, they aren't going to get much bigger, just tough......
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Quote Hugh FW....

"People like to say that certain breeds will be ready to kill after a certan number of weeks, usually 14,16 or 18 weeks. It's all relative. A chicken is not ready to kill for the table until you think it is. Pick it up,feel its weight and feel its breast. If it feels tempting,then you should kill it if you want to. You may not be able to resist at 10 wks when only a poussin.Or you may want to wait until its super-heavyweight at 30 wks. Any older than this and most chickens would be in the 'old-boiler' rather than good-roaster category."

...so anytime from now until 30 wks I suppose.

( I'm sure Hugh FW won't mind me reproducing part of his book when I say how exceptionally good /interesting/helpful ALL his books are!)
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post

...................................( I'm sure Hugh FW won't mind me reproducing part of his book when I say how exceptionally good /interesting/helpful ALL his books are!)
                Just wish I could afford to buy them!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Just wish I could afford to buy them!
                  Me too!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

try Green Metropolis for books you can often pick up a bargain

Green Metropolis
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Thanks all, It looks as if their days are numbered!!!!!

I'll let you how many sarnnies I get Snadger!
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hi Roitelet

I'm fattening some up at the moment - D Day is next Monday.

Mine will be 24 weeks when they are done.

If you can, for the last couple of weeks keep the amount of exercise they can do to a minimum.

Give them a daily treat of bread or prrodge soaked in full fat milk. Plenty of greens and some wheat/corn. Not too much corn or they'll build up a layer of yellow fat. This is in addition to their normal feed (mine are on layers pellets as that is what the girls are on)

Hopes this helps
                        Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

I'd agree. Have you thought about how you would 'do the deed'? I post some easy, no fuss ways if you like, unless you already know?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks Birdie Wife and ChrisB. They are 22 weeks old at the moment so will restrict their run today and do the deed on 6th November. I have bought a thing to sacrifice them with as although I do know how to ring their necks I want to make sure the job is done cleanly and quickly. However I would be interested to know other ways of doing it. Perhaps you could post them, or PM me, Birdie Wife if you think the subject a bit delicate for general consumption

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My nephew culled of of his 18 week old table birds this week and was amazed to find it full of eggs. Don't know what breed it was but they are not known for their egg laying. She might have already been laying as they have about 50 birds all different types kept in a field together. He wished he'd kept her as he's not getting many eggs at the moment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X