Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I, or shouldn't I...??

Ok...I have a dilemma!

A friend rescued 30+ ex bats over the weekend, and wondered if I would like any of them.

I've only had my girls for 3 weeks, and they seem to be settling in nicely.

Please please please talk me in...or out...of the idea!!

A Pro & Con list would be VERY much appreciated!!!

My OH thinks we should leave it for a bit, until the new girls find their feet...but...I can't decide either way!!

Help!!
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

con list ... a bit of extra food cost

pro list you get eggs, are doing a good thing, they'fe lovely, they'll be very grateful, you'll love them ......you already know all this from the ones you have . oh just go for it, if i could get there i'd take some myself.

better taking them now, before the others get too settled and set in their ways, will probly be much more hassle later when they have taken over
    Last edited by lynda66; 28-10-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

If you have the space and fancy having more then do it now while they are all 'fresh' together. The pecking order will all be sorted out in one go then.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

go on.................you know you want to

Comment

I think you've already made up your own mind haven't you Bephlam?

Enjoy your new ex-bats!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

go on, just do it
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Don't just encourage me - let's be adult about this!!!

Pros & Cons!

Comment

i did give you the cons ....... there aren't any other than a bit of extra food, and ok maybe a few too many eggs ....... but too many eggs is never a con really is it??

i wish i had your dilemma, want some chooks NOW lol.

Comment

I suppose one way of looking at it would be 'have these 30 chickens got homes'? Presumably they have, so don't 'need' you to take any in.
                  I'm NOT saying don't get more!
                  But - If the main plan is to get as many rehomed as possible (rather than dog food) you could put your name down for another batch of girls sometime in the future which would otherwise not have homes. This way you would be saving more that would otherwise not make it!
                  Does that make sense?
                  I like the idea of having hens of varying ages that way as some stop egg production the younger ones will carry on and you will still get eggs rather than them all stopping (or even dying) all at once.
                  I have a plan (don't tell MY OH!) of rehoming 3 per year (possibly secretly!). That way I still benefit with the eggs and an extra 3 per year are saved.
                  Then again, it's not all about eggs is it....

Comment

subliiminal message take them, take them, take them - you know you want them!!!!

Pro's - more eggs, good karma from doing such a good deed, jealous friends - everyone loves chickens! Lots of love from your girls
                    Con's - slightly higher food costs (sell the eggs - recoup the costs) .......er that's it!
                    Last edited by Sunbeam; 29-10-2008, 06:25 AM.
                    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

unless you have a big place to put them 30 sounds a lot, if it were me i would only take half of them. this would give you 15-18. and in summer you will have eggs by the bucket. our friends have 8-9 chickens and get 2-4 dozen a week sometimes 5 in summer. to cut food costs bread and veg scraps are usually liked by them. all the best pc

Comment

i don't think the intention was to take 30 lol

but then again

Comment

Goodness...Nooo...I have NO INTENTION of taking all 30!! (although, I'd love them!!!) he he

Ok, you're all going to be disappointed in me, but...I'm not going to take any from this batch. Partially what Vicky said - they have been saved, rehomed...and I am not quite ready to take on more at the moment - want to get my own girls fully settled in.

So, bottom line - I will get some ex bats, but I'm going to wait until the time is right for me...and, I'll rescue a fresh batch, so in turn more girls will get homes!!

Comment

ok well if it's the right decision for you ....... then it's a good one

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X