rhodas moulting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhodas moulting

Hello from a very snowy North Wales more help pleae Rhoda my eight month old Rhode island red is moulting how long do they moult for and is there anything i can give her to help her with it my three chickens all have poultry drink in the water and i also give them organic worming pellets once a week as recomended on the packet she just looks terrible and i feel so sorry for her but she is eating and drinking fine so am i just over worried
    many thanks lyn
    p s Ellie my sussex white does not like the snow but the other two are fine including rhoda
    Last edited by lyn; 30-10-2008, 08:11 AM.

Give her some porridge to keep her warm, but don't worry, she'll snuggle up to the others at night to keep warm
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

They reckon (I am the person who reads the books and forums in anticipation but hasn't actually got any chooks or any experience yet!) that a little cat food helps at this time as it is high in protein. Not chicken varieties obviously - that would just be so wrong! Moulting is stressful but it's a natural process.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi lyn,
        As Flummery says, high protein food will help her through the moult, feathers are mostly protein and it is a bit of a stress on the system to make a whole new set. Cat food, meal worms and porridge are all good. Don't worry that she looks raggedy, actually, it's apparently a sign of a good layer if a hen moults in one big go rather than a little at a time. This can make them look decidedly 'oven ready' but they are hardy creatures and won't suffer too much.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Strange that they always wait until the weather becomes decidedly cold before casting there feathers though? Daft or what!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Strange that they always wait until the weather becomes decidedly cold before casting there feathers though? Daft or what!
            They want a nice new warm winter coat. Have to take off the old one to grow new.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X