to compost or what????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to compost or what????

Ok- it's just dawned on me that I'll need 2 bags for veg peelings- one for the chooks and one for the compost ( better gather more leaves to make up for the chooks noshing some of the peelings)
    So....a chook bucket and one for the compost heap.

and so....what should I save for the chooks? I've done a bit of research, but would like to know what works for you. Also - do you rinse off the soil before cooking it- or do you serve it raw ( except spuds).
    When would you feed it ?
    The gals will be free range but kept indoors until they settle.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Well would you believe I was just cooking up some spuds for the chooks!!As we're the only chook keepers at the lottie we seem to have aquired everyones too little to bother with spuds!I don't wash them(bit of grit!!),depending on what else we had for tea I add peelings to the pan,(or I usually open the front door to piles of peelings from neighbours dinner!!).
    I then ever so slightly mash(more just break it up),add a few big scoops of layers mash & hot water & ta-da...breakfast!!
    (I try to cook about 3 days worth to save on fuel)
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Ooo...never tried the mash mixed with layers. Will need to give it a go. My girls favourite is porride, with corn, raisins and a wee bit of poultry spice!! They'd eat you if you got in between them and the dish!!!

Spinach is my girls overall favourite though - they scream like nutters when they even see the bag!!!
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've just cooked some spuds, peelings and softish turnips for the girls. Roughly mashed it all together (in the water they were cooked in) then tomorrow morning, I'll warm it up in the microwave and add it with more hot water to layers pellets for breakfast. I sometimes add a bit of poultry spice, or garlic, or apple cider vinegar in with it depending on whether I think they need it or not. I've found they're not too keen on carrots, definitely not raw ones anyway, same with parsnips. They've had a blown red cauliflower today (that'll mean dark green poo tomorrow!) plus a cabbage. They get left over mashed potato and any other veggie leftovers too. I don't give them meat, fish or dairy, they might be ok but I'm not 100% sure.
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

i love reading stuff about hens and ducks etc. On our allotment we can't have anything with hooves or chickens etc! I always wanted chickens too...sob sob.

Comment

Mine get everything but raw meat (apart from worms of course)
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X