Chickens & softfruit (not a recipe!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickens & softfruit (not a recipe!)

I may be getting another alottment soon which will give me scope to keep a few chickens. I also would like to grow some softfruit, Blackcurrants, Whitecurrants, Redcurrants and Gooseberries.

I would anticipate having a 'walk in' fruitcage around these.

Could I incorporate the two by using the fruitcage as a chicken run, or would they decimate the fruit bushes?

Also is rhubarb poisonous to chooks?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    I may be getting another alottment soon which will give me scope to keep a few chickens. I also would like to grow some softfruit, Blackcurrants, Whitecurrants, Redcurrants and Gooseberries.

I would anticipate having a 'walk in' fruitcage around these.

Could I incorporate the two by using the fruitcage as a chicken run, or would they decimate the fruit bushes?

My bantams don't seem to eat my rhubarb leaves, but I would imagine that fruit bushes would be a delight for chickens given their appetite for fruit! Suggest you keep them in the fruit cage until the fruit bushes flower and stick the chickens onto your other veg patches (empty or old ones) until you can harvest the fruit!

Comment

Our chuks love blackberrys raspberrys strawberrys and any thing with berry in the title, they even eat tomatoes, our ducks dont seem to like fruit tho, could ducks be an option for you?
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
        Our chuks love blackberrys raspberrys strawberrys and any thing with berry in the title, they even eat tomatoes, our ducks dont seem to like fruit tho, could ducks be an option for you?
        Have heard ducks make a mess and are more prone to rats! We are not allowed ducks at the allotments anyway.

It may be a failing in my memory (I was only six) but I seem to remember my uncle had chickens which used to roam around the blackcurrants and redcurrants and I remember picking excellent crops from them?

Redcurrants and blackcurrants haven't got 'berry' in the title so what do you think?
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

will try them with some of mine tomorrow and let you know.
          Yo an' Bob
          take only what you need
          give all you can

Comment

ok it took me a while, yes chooks likes red currants, but prefer blackberrys, they eat the red currants in the same way as toms, a little bit, then a little bit more later on. have descovered that ducks adore elderberrys, its been so funny watching them quaff the whole bunch and spit out the stalks that i think they may have the "runs".
            worth it tho, tres amusant.
            chooks dont like them tho, so maybe this could be your "chook berry" answer.
            sorry couldnt resist.
            Yo an' Bob
            take only what you need
            give all you can

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
              ok it took me a while, yes chooks likes red currants, but prefer blackberrys, they eat the red currants in the same way as toms, a little bit, then a little bit more later on. have descovered that ducks adore elderberrys, its been so funny watching them quaff the whole bunch and spit out the stalks that i think they may have the "runs".
              worth it tho, tres amusant.
              chooks dont like them tho, so maybe this could be your "chook berry" answer.
              sorry couldnt resist.
              Excuse my ignorance but do the chickens jump into or fly into the currant bushes and scoff them there or do they Knock them off, then eat them?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well now theres a q? i cant answer, i gave them the redcurrants, to see if they liked them, i keep the chooks and ducks in there own bit, away from anything edible, untill its time to turn the soil then i let them in to eat the slugs and eggs, however my redcurrants hang quite low so would suppose they would peck them off like they do blackberrys and everything else they can reach.
                Yo an' Bob
                take only what you need
                give all you can

Comment

Chickens can jump quite high in the air! I hang my chooks greens above their head height and they spend ages leaping up at the green pecking bits off. Helps them keep their figure too!

Comment

yes, and the chicken ballet at dusk when they are catching flies is great.
                    Yo an' Bob
                    take only what you need
                    give all you can

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

My chucks love rhubarb leaves. I guess they're not poisonous, as they don't appear to have had any ill effects from eating them.
                      “In everything natural there is something marvelous.” — Aristotle

Comment

Welcome Mooonwitch

Love the avatar is it your dog?
                        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X