Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 new chickens

hi all just need some good advice.
    im buying 4 chickens off any allotment where they roamed free,the persons selling up.
    i ve seen a run for sale on aviaries4u but need some help
    1.should i go for a 9-6-6 or a 12-6-6 in size as i don t want them to feel cramped.
    2.the run would be sitting on block paving to which i was going to either leave as is or put aubiose (horse hemp) on the ground.

Hi solace,
    are those measurements in feet? Chickens do best when they have a bit of room but not too much, so the smaller one would be fine I think. Actually, 9x6 ft is huge for 4 birds - they only need a coupld of square feet each, so a 4x3 would be ample.

I would definitely put something down on the ground, chickens love to scratch around. Congrats on getting your new girls, I hope they give you lots of pleasure

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I'd agree with Birdie Wife - I have three birds and their entire space is 11 x 6 - of course their house is in that space. Mine have TONS of room (of course they run around the garden when we're home...and feeling brave enough to let them destroy the place!!). I'm planning on adding another 4...or 5....lol....so your 4 will be happy girls in either of those spaces.

I'd always go bigger than you need, because this chicken thing is a bit addictive!!!
      Last edited by Bephlam; 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM.
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post

I'd always go biggerthan you need, because this chicken thing is a bit addictive!!!
        Bit addictive is an understatement..........obsesssive is more like it!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Bit addictive is an understatement..........obsesssive is more like it!
          Aye, that's probably more accurate!!
          I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

i know! i'm already think of adding a cockrel- which is probably a bad idea!
            i do think 9-6 will be more than fine

Comment

Why do you want a cockeral? You're not thinking of breeding them are you? Lynda will be on to you if you do If it's for meat then ok, I'll let you off
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X