Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feathers being pulled out

Help please?

I'm having a problem with my hens pulling each others feathers out. Sometimes it seems like a form of bullying but now the bullies seem to have bald patches too. It is mostly from just above the tail and around the vent area but I noticed tonight that one has got a bald patch on her next now...and I thought she was one of the bullies....

Can anyone suggest anything?

I have 11 chickens and they have a coop which states it takes up to 15 chickens which has 2 nest boxes. They have a 10 x 10 x 6 run (dog pen) with ledges and perches to explore and sit on. They have plenty of greens.....help?
    Janette

'Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child' (Ron Wild)

1 x Sussex Star (Sage), 1 x Speckledey (Thyme), 2 x Brown Leghorns (Spit and Spot), 3 x Bovan Goldline (The 3 Degrees), 3 x Amber Star, 2 x Black Rock

Someone once told me that feather eating is a sign of calcium deficiency. But maybe they're bored or moulting? I'd shove a load of shell and grit in there with them and hang the greens up with some sweetcorn too. Give them some poultry spice in their food as well, it's a good pick-me-up. Keep an eye on them though in case they start pecking each others skin and causing wounds.
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I agree with Maureen..........they're probably just coming into molt!

For some reason chooks seem to wait until it gets really cold and then decide to drop all there feathers.

Not the brightest of Gods creatures are they?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X