Greens Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greens Help

Can you give me any advice pelase, i gave my ex batts a hanging cabbage and they don't even look at it. So i put it on the floor and broke it up still no joy. Gave them Brussell leaves YUCK. Still nothing, they like grass but they don't even like corn on the cob or sweetcorn any suggestions please?

How long have you had your chooks? For ex-batts it's something they're not used to but once they taste it there's no stopping them!! The first cabbage I hung up for mine was there about 10 days before they got the idea that it might be nice to eat. Have you tried breaking some up and mixing it with a warm mash or something like that?
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Hi, i have broken it up but not with warm mash. I have had them for 4 weeks tomorrow. Do i need to cook it first. Thanks Maureen .

Comment

No, give it raw - it's better for them that way and it doesn't go off Don't worry if they don't eat it yet, they will do eventually

Comment

Keep them a little bit hungry and they'll soon get the taste for it!! If they are on free-range they may not need it.

Comment

breaks my heart when i hear these things, my mum grows half a plots worth of cabbage for hers, they love the stuff, and then these poor birds don't even know what one is!!!

persevere, keep putting them in, i am sure eventually one will get a peck in and think 'MMMMMMMMM..............OI! you lot! look what i have found'
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I got some 14 week old chooks who didn't bother with greens! They are now 17 weeks old and after watching the other chooks fighting over a cabbage leaf, they luv em!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine were the same until they started associating me with food - now they peck pretty much anything I bring in there - including hubby!

The thing that tipped it for me was dried mealworms from Wilkinsons. Once they had a taste of those, they pecked at anything I put down, especially if I sprinkled a few mealworms over the top. Croutons, anyone?

I also found that ripping up cauliflower leaves in front of them really helped, as they got a whiff of fresh leaf, so stuck their beaks in
                http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Ive also started to give mine a few dried mealworms a few days a week they love them

Comment

My ex-batts only eat cabbage and other brassicas when there's no lettuce or spinach etc available! they've learnt to be fussy now after 10 months. Try putting them in a wire hanging basket as this gives them some entertainment as well and saves you having to keep suspending the greens. They love cucumber and tomatoes though these can be a bit difficult to keep in the basket!:

Comment

Thanks everyone, shall have a bash at giving them some again, never say never,, i want the girls to have the best.. They don't like tomatoes so will try some cucumber tonight.

Comment

I had no idea you could give them so many different kinds of greens I knew parsley, cabbage but cukes and corn fab idea thanks!
                        Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

I just gave mine an overgrown cougette yesterday (marrow) and they loved it.
                          Every bit gone this morning..........including the skin!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well so far my bunny doesn't like pineapple ........ but she loves broccoli plants and carrots and beetroot leaves

Comment

I chucked half a pineapple into the run yesterday, all that's left now is the "shell"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X