No announcement yet.

1st taste of eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmm - perhaps I'll start a thread asking everyone what chooks do/don't like, then maybe it'll save me some time...
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine love cous cous, found some out of date stuff in the cupboard so reconstituted it and mixed it with their mash.

For egg-eaters, have you tried a false egg in the nest box? I got one and it's now very pecked! Stopped the culprit for a little while, but I go out about every half hour or so during the morning to collect any new-laid - take all temptation out of the way
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
        Mmmm - perhaps I'll start a thread asking everyone what chooks do/don't like, then maybe it'll save me some time...
        You'll have one very long list and one very very short one.

Comment

So, back to trial and error then!

Unfortunately, I'm still having to scratch a living, so can't be around all the time to remove the newly laid ones. I have three rubber ones that I move around regularly, but the 'Ladies' just ignore them - they can obviously tell the difference!

Comment

I have no idea whether this will work or not, but when three of mine were pecking the little baldy half to death, the fabulous Frank from Thornes poultry centre in Letchworth sold me some disgusting smelly stuff called Ukadex, which is supposed to stop them pecking.

How about taking a couple of real eggs, spraying them with it and leaving them in the nest box? I really don't know if it will work or not, but it might break the cycle of see egg, peck it, get reward.
            http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Hashette View Post
              I have no idea whether this will work or not, but when three of mine were pecking the little baldy half to death, the fabulous Frank from Thornes poultry centre in Letchworth sold me some disgusting smelly stuff called Ukadex, which is supposed to stop them pecking.

How about taking a couple of real eggs, spraying them with it and leaving them in the nest box? I really don't know if it will work or not, but it might break the cycle of see egg, peck it, get reward.
              Trouble is...............if it smells THAT bad maybe NONE of the chooks will want to use the nestbox?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post

My Dad had to put a dampener on it though, adding up the cost of the coop/fence/feed/feeders/feed bin/bedding/incidentals/fuel to collect them/bla bla bla, he said; "It makes them bloody expensive eggs!"

that's one of the reasons, that so far all i've spent money on is nails hinges and a tape measure

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                  that's one of the reasons, that so far all i've spent money on is nails hinges and a tape measure
                  ...and loads of eggs... and a thermometer... and an incubator... and loads of electricity to run it... and, correct me if I'm wrong - a Webcam...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X