Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexing a chicken

No idea on this one folks!!!!

I read that with pigeons you can tell by the shape of their eye...does that hold true with chooks???

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/j...les/sexing.jpg

Any other way for working it out with youngsters ( I'm pretty confident with adult ones!!!????)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

i'm just gonna pretend they are all girls till one crows

Comment

We were told to look at the shape of the feathers around the neck area.. girls are rounded at the ends, boys more pointed. Worked with ours 3 girls 2 boys.
      Last edited by JackieAt; 16-11-2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Feather sexing is easier than vent sexing apparently. I was told to wave a hat over the brooder or pen and the males would look up immediately and the females would cower and run, as it came from an old farmer I don't know there is any truth in it but can say I always had 2 look up when something was waved above the brooder and I now have 2 cockerals......

Comment

When (if ever!) I get to hatch out some babies, then I'll be doing the "swing the ring" over them. It's always worked for me with tropical fish and pregnant ladies, so we'll have to wait and see
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by chicken slave View Post
            Feather sexing is easier than vent sexing apparently. I was told to wave a hat over the brooder or pen and the males would look up immediately and the females would cower and run, as it came from an old farmer I don't know there is any truth in it but can say I always had 2 look up when something was waved above the brooder and I now have 2 cockerals......

Well..that freaked them out somewhat!!!

All legged it....so we'll have to see!

Comment

Hen babies grow tail feathers some days before cockerel babies. This happens when they are very young, just after wing feathers appear.
              The 'neck feather' thing is probably the best guide when they are no longer babies but well short of adult.
              The difference may not be obvious unless you definitely have both.....
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Lots of info on this in practical poultry mag this month Nicos. I've just finished a 12 hour shift (after only 3 hours sleep the night before), but I will read the article tomorrow and let you know what it says. Unless of course you have the mag yourself.

But, from what I remember....more dense feathers, tail that point slightly upwards instead of outwards, squawking instead of bocking when handled, and the neck feathering....I know there is more, but cannot remember them right now!
                I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

There's a lot to be said for sex linked breeds methinks! You can tell by the colour at birth.!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i haven't looked a chickens bits yet ...... aren't they different like in other animals?

Comment

That's called vent sexing lynda - difficult even for an expert. If you need to know the sex of your chicks at hatching, then get onen of the autosexing breeds like Sndger suggests. Various options... Autosexing and Sex linked Poultry | Hatching Eggs, Chicks, Chickens, Hens & Cockerels

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post
                        Lots of info on this in practical poultry mag this month Nicos. I've just finished a 12 hour shift (after only 3 hours sleep the night before), but I will read the article tomorrow and let you know what it says. Unless of course you have the mag yourself.
                        I'd love to hear what it says!!
                        Nope- not got any mags so that sounds brill- Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                          That's called vent sexing lynda - difficult even for an expert. If you need to know the sex of your chicks at hatching, then get onen of the autosexing breeds like Sndger suggests. Various options... Autosexing and Sex linked Poultry | Hatching Eggs, Chicks, Chickens, Hens & Cockerels
                          see you can see i have researched sexing chickens thouroughly lol ..... don't think auto sexing will be an option, the next lot of eggs could be a cross with anything from about 8 breeds lol ..... so i'll wait for the crowing option.

Comment

That's what I do

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Can you explain the swing the ring maureen?
                              I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X