No announcement yet.

WHAT kind of chickens?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We say titchy for small in the south too.
    My niece has Lilac Pekins and they are really pretty, don't seem to destroy the garden and lay eggs which although small are mostly yolk.
    If you have ex-battery hens they are big, lay lots of eggs and will wreck the garden. You won't mind a bit though 'cos watching them enjoying themselves after the horrible life they have had is so satisfying.

Comment

I hate to tell you gardenwitch - but Faverolles are anything but small. We have three favs (couldn't recommend them highly enough - although are VERY docile, so prone to bullying from other hens - so watch what breed you mix them with!) and they are huge. They're only 20 weeks just now, so have a bit of growing to do...but they're already BIG GIRLS.

In terms of egg production - your hybrids are the best layers, but it depends if you want (and I hate this term, but you get my drift) egg machines, or family pets that show their appreciation and love by gifting you an egg. A well looked after, happy fav should lay 150+ eggs a season (another bonus is they're good winter layers), but they'll never compete with hybrids. However, what they lack in egg production they most definitely make up for in personality!!!
      Last edited by Bephlam; 17-11-2008, 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot something. :)
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

ok good to know tichy means small thank you

sorry i thought bantam faveroles were smaller, good to know they are big birds then thanks. well we defiently are interested in chickens for a good supply of eggs that is the whole point to us, although we'll look after them like cherished souls too

are any breeds i listed recommended NOT to keep together? i think i would like 2 different breeds just to have a lil difference around; but i'm open and learning still too
        Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

My bad - I didn't see the BANTAM bit!!! lol. Typical! Fav bantams are smaller, but they're hard to source I'd imagine!! We don't have bantams - full size for us!!! They're good table birds too...but I couldn't eat my layer girls - they'd have to be meat birds...not named, not pets!!

I'm sure you'll find the perfect girls for you - just don't tell me about it if you're eating the layers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            Sorry, lapsed into a bit of Lancashire there. Titchy means small!
            Good job you didn't mention this plodgin in the clarts weather we're having Flum!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

lol thanks for clarifications all xx

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post

are any breeds i listed recommended NOT to keep together? i think i would like 2 different breeds just to have a lil difference around; but i'm open and learning still too
                Every chicken has it's own personality - Orpingtons for example are generally very laid back but I know one person who's Orpie went for another hen in a big way and was a terrible bully. As long as they have enough space and food, problems are minimised. There will always be some hen pecking, and this is entirely normal, but some breeds are more neurotic than others and it can get out of hand. Generally speaking though, the breeds mentioned above should settle down together without too much hassle.

Just don't get an asil or a tuzo

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Good job you didn't mention this plodgin in the clarts weather we're having Flum!
                  Clarty down my lottie today Snadge - can't shift for slutch!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Humm well I'm not finding a country store near me really and I've decieded I'd like 4-6 from any of these breeds: BANTAM versions of MARAN for sure and another breed from Sussex, Wyandotte, Australorp, and Faverolle. I tried searching online for a breeder in Essex with any of these but not having much luck maybe I'm not searching right? They have got to ge somewhere! Here chicky chicky............Thanks for all the help everyone xx
                    Last edited by Gardenwitch; 18-11-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Have you tried looking for breeders on Ebay? Plenty sell eggs on there, but someone might know of some availability in your area
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I was about to say...Maureen will be along shortly with a solution, she always is. And...voila...I was right!!

I struggled to find favs in my area - but thankfully found some quite local. You could try joining PPF as well, and posting there for breeders in your area. You'd be surprised how many people will come out the woodwork. Lots of people have stock, but don't consider themselves 'breeders' as such, so therefore don't advertise. I'm going to hatch some favs in Spring, but I'm way too far away for you....and I'm betting you can't wait that long!!

Good luck in your search!

Comment

Lots of ads in the back of Practical Poultry too.

Comment

Yeah...I check those every month. Mostly boys though - people's desperate attempt to get rid before having to do the deed, I'm sure!!

I would be surprised if you don't get a response on PPF - that's where I met my breeder...he was/is great. Turned out to be a great friend, as well as my on call chicken God!! lol

Comment

No, not those - there are several pages of very small small ads - I've found a few people near me that I couldn't find through any other means. They seem to be arranged rather randomly into counties.

Comment

Oh right...THOSE ads!!! I get it - yeah, there are lots of breeders in there.

Do you buy PP gardenwitch??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X