Powdering chooks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdering chooks

I want to powder my chooks against red mite.
    I've not yet seen any traces of it, but I'd like to do it as a preventative measure.
    Sooooo...how is the best way of going about it? Where should I concentrate on esp?How much should I apply per bird?? " and how many peeps- 1 to hold and 1 to powder?????

Itch..itch....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

It depends - do your girls dust bath? If so you can sprinkle it on them when they're in full throws of bathing, and they'll roll around and work it all in to them for you!! Or, you can get someone to hold whilst you apply, but it's quite fiddly. I've heard some people doing it with a pillow case - putting the powder in the case, putting the bird in it with it's head out and massaging/shaking it about! (no swinging it round your head though!!).

They smell devine after it - so much so that some people use it in the bottom of their cat litter trays etc. lol

Let us know how you get on!!
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

when the best alternative to fleas on cats used to be flea powder, we used to use the pillow case method too ...... it's easier for one person

Comment

For red mite I think you're better off powdering the house, as they live in the nooks and crannies (especially in the corners and ends of roosting bars) and come out to feed on the hens at night. Lice are different creatures though, they DO live on the hen. If you can pick the hen up and get her secure and calm, gently turn her onto her back with her feet still securely in your grasp. Then with your other hand you can powder her backside and under her wings. It's still a little bit of a faff but it's possible to part the feathers and apply the powder with your one free hand. If they are calm enough, you can even let go of the feet after a few minutes and they will stay like that. Once they've learned that they can't get away by struggling they seem to accept it.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I've given them sand/ash to bath in and eat but only seen them eating the stuff ( it's in a cat litter tray) I think I'd be happier sprinkling it onto them- presumably directly onto the skin??
          When I had bunnies they got mites ( from the hay) between their shoulder blades and just above their tails....are there any 'hot spots' to concentrate on with the chooks??? ( seeing as I've yet to see a red mite ( touch wood) I wouldn't know where they are most likely to go to )

Comment

As said, the red mite live in the house, no ton the hens, so there aren't hot spots as such.
            With lice that do live on the hens, I think it's around there bums and under their wings.

Comment

I'm sure I read it's ok for them to eat the diatom stuff. (? Please correct me quickly if I'm wrong) as it also helps with internal parasites.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've read somewhere that if you powder the birds against red mite at night, the mites will be killed off. I'm beginning to think that a red might infestation could end up being like painting the Forth Bridge???
                Best to try and avoid it if I can.

Comment

When I powder my chooks (preventative rather than curative) there's only me to do it! I tuck the head under my armpit and stick their bums in the air. Powder bums, under wings and around neck .................................... next
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    I've read somewhere that if you powder the birds against red mite at night, the mites will be killed off. I'm beginning to think that a red might infestation could end up being like painting the Forth Bridge???
                    Best to try and avoid it if I can.
                    That is true. I do this as well, by powdering the house and using louse powder on the hens. So far so good!

Comment

Oh what the hell, I'm going to powder my girls today - just to make them smell nice!!! lol.

I see the forth road bridge form my house window every day, I wouldn't fancy painting it!!!
                      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        I'm sure I read it's ok for them to eat the diatom stuff. (? Please correct me quickly if I'm wrong) as it also helps with internal parasites.
                        I use diatomious earth (what a mouthful) which are powdered fossilised crustaceans (another mouthful).

It is silica based so doesn't degrade. Dead easy to use and you don't even need to catch the chook. Grab a handful, chuck it on the chooks back and move on to the next. Because it's like talcum powder you can see which ones you've done as well! It will find it's own way to the problem areas.
                        It works by getting in between the plates of invertebrates (lice, mites etc) and causing abrasion which makes the mite dehydrate and die. Mammals are not affected in this way at all.
                        If it's eaten by the chooks (and some people reccomend adding it to their food,....... but I don't) it stays in the gut and is supposed to dehydrates internal worms.
                        Like everything else there's also a bad side though, but if precautions are taken it shouldn't be a problem.
                        The problem is (and I didn't fmd this out by research until I'd already bought it) that it is Silicon based. Silicon can cause Silicosis if inhaled by humans and stays lodged in the lungs giving symptoms similar to asbestosis!
                        Wearing a dust mask or just keeping your head out of the way of the dust should be OK I reckon!
                        I have to say, I treat all my chooks plus there nest boxes and roosting bars at two month intervals and have had no problems with mites!

There again, their may not have been any mites present anyway!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X