Hmm, how did that happen?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, how did that happen?

As some of you may know, we lost a chook (Cardinal Puff Puff the Third) overnight.

Anyhoo, since we were down to two hens, we decided to pop in and see the chap we bought the girls from to see if he had any others available. Turned out he only had the one warren we had left behind last time - we wanted to introduce 2 new hens and told him so. He said no problem, he would have 6 for us to choose from if we came back this evening.

We have sort of become friendly with the chap as he helped fix my car and Madmax is helping him with some electrical stuff around his place.

We went back this evening with the cat box to pick up 2 warrens - he had only managed to get 2 so choice was limited. He showed us the ones he had got - both had scaly legs and one was wheezing. When I said that the hen we had lost had scaly legs and I didn't really want another one with that problem he understood and said if we took the pair of black chooks (not sure of breed yet) that he had, we could have the fourth of the original warrens as a replacement for Puff (she looks just about the same too apart from the dodgy legs).

So, now we have 5 chooks!!! Photos to follow when they are allowed in the garden (not taking pics in the run as it is so mucky and horrid now)!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

you are getting as bad as Lynda66

gratz on the new girls.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

good luck with new hens!!

shirley

good to hear you have some more to add to your flock!! look forward to the pics.

angela

Comment

Nooooo Shirley, I didn't know you lost Cardinal Puff Puff the Third. I'm so sad for you 'cause it was such a great name and I'm sure, she was a great chook.

Still, well done on getting the others, I'm sure they will be the most loved chooks in the world- as well as the other chook lovers on here - you understand
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

You may be interested to know that the 'replacement' for Cardinal will be named Cardinal Puff Puff the 3rd the 2nd according to the younger son. THe rest of us meanwhile will call her Puff 2. The two black ones are called Henny and Penny, though Madmax suggested Barack and Obama.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Oh, I lurve Barack and Obama. Puff 2 is a great name too
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

oh that is so lovely Hope they all settle in well together
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Good luck to you and all your hens. Hope they all get on well and you get the scaly leg problem sorted.

Comment

Do you know the age of the chooks Shirl? The reason I ask is that their legs do get more nobbly and scaly as they get older!

Good luck with your chooks and I'm sure they will be fine!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                    Good luck to you and all your hens. Hope they all get on well and you get the scaly leg problem sorted.
                    We opted not to take the ones with the scaly legs. One's legs were so bad one was bleeding and the other's legs were not quite as bad but she was wheezing quite badly. The Warren we got was the one we had left when we got the first 3 a few weeks ago (confusing I know).

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Do you know the age of the chooks Shirl? The reason I ask is that their legs do get more nobbly and scaly as they get older!

Good luck with your chooks and I'm sure they will be fine!
                    We are informed that the hens we have are all coming back into lay after their first moult. I guess that makes them around 12 to 18 months old? Anyhoo, we now have 3 Warrens with nice tidy legs and 2 black hens (no idea of breed) with inky blue/black legs - also nice and unscaly.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Just realised I haven't posted any pics of the new 'flock' yet. Will try to get a pic shortly as it is actually dry just now (blooming cold though).

the whole lawn is now a quagmire as it poured down all night!
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Good Luck with them Shirl....Sorry I'd also missed you'd lost Cardinal Puff Puff.xx
                        Looking forward to some piccies!
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Finally - a picture of the 5 girls! Just realised one is nearly hidden but the black girls run off if I am actually on the same side of the door as them - will try to get better piccies later if my head stops hurting a bit (can't think why it is sore - must be lack of sleep)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 01-01-2009, 10:12 AM.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X