Red Mite - 2 questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Mite - 2 questions

1. Red mites are tiny spiders are they the same ones that attack chilli and pepper plants?

2. Red Mite powder - How often? How long does it last when plastered?

I know that was three questions, don't be picky
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

As I understand it they are only red AFTER they've fed on chooks blood, otherwise they're greyish. Not the same as red spider mite I'm sure.
    I put fresh powder down every couple of weeks and have found an aerosol spray which says every 3 months so I do that each time I "bottom out" the hut. Also put louse powder in nest boxes every couple of weeks as a preventative.

Comment

Interesting Sue cause I believe that red spider mite that attacks chillis and peppers are not red either. Anyone got any ideas on this
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
        Interesting Sue cause I believe that red spider mite that attacks chillis and peppers are not red either. Anyone got any ideas on this
        You got me worried Hayley! I looked it up and Red spider mite is Tetranychus Urticae but Common Red Mite is Dermanyssus Gallinae so they would appear to be totally different things!

Comment

Thank god for that, thanks Sue. I lost a chilli and a pepper in my conservatory to Red Spider so I was concerned about transferance (if there's such a word and if so might be spelled incorrectly )
          Hayley B

Comment

They are totally different!
            One is a red spider (red spider mite) and one is a mite that turns red after gorging itself on chooks blood, methinks!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X