Red mite time

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red mite time

Hi. I'm interested to know if anyone else has the dreaded mite in their hen house?
    This hot weather has set them off big time in mine - it seems much worse than other years. I always treat the hen house with Total Mite Kill until now. I used a fumeur earlier in the year but not very effective.
    Last night I went in with Dergall. You put it in a sprayer and wait until the hens have roosted and the mites are on the attack. It's safe to spray with the hens in the hen house and works by clogging up the breathing tube - spiracules - of the mite.
    So far so good.
    I was quite horrified at the amount of "ash" which was subtly moving over all the surfaces. I sprayed high and low - the hens were a bit surprised but obligingly helpful by moving from one end to the other. The mites were immediately stunned -!
    Last edited by mrsbusy; 15-06-2023, 02:44 PM.

Oh gosh….touch wood, we’ve never had them ( yet)
    I don’t look out for them anymore …best get back into that habit, especially as we got 3 new chooks a few weeks ago and they are hardly laying even if they were ‘point of lay’
    Always a concern as to any ailments they bring with them even if they are isolated from the rest of the flock for a few days.
    Thanks for the heads up

Fingers crossed you get a good result.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The mites don't live on the hens only in the housing so I doubt your new girls brought any in.
      They hide in tiny crevices and cracks and especially underneath the roost bars at the ends where they touch the walls.
      I have a wooden hen house which is more prone to them. I used to have an Omlet cube which is plastic but wanted something I could get in and stand up in so switched to current set up. It was treated with the stuff that is instead of creosote which protected for a few years but that has worn off and to re apply the hens would have to keep out for a while which is not very convenient!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X