Red bum!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red bum!

two of my eight hens seem to have lost feathers near their vent (but not around it) - only noticable when they spread their wings - rather than being fully nude as it were.
    they dont seem off colour at all - but there are some red marks around, is that just where the feathers were?
    any theories what it could be? its just so localised - but all the others seem fit and well.
    i dont know what to treat it with, if at all.
    advice appreciated
    Hilary

Could be moulting where old feathers fall out and new ones will grow in their place. A pinch of poultry spice in their food should be enough to make sure they get all the nutrients they need to see them through it if that is the case.
    (about 3/4 of a teaspoon should be enough for 8 hens)
    Last edited by kirsty b; 08-12-2008, 04:04 PM.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Check that the others aren't pecking them though.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Try Sudacrem, Vaseline or similar. I had one with completely bald bum which looked red and sore and a mix of these definitely helped. Also spray her with antipeck spray as the creams may attract the others to have a taste!

Comment

Mine are moulting now (why? - it's so cold!) and have various bald patches around their bodies, mostly chest, tum and bum!

Comment

Strange animals chooks..............they wait until it gets really cold and then start dropping there feathers!

Rest assured yours are not the only ones though........mine are a bit short of grey matter also.......... but likeable.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My Hazel has had a bright red bum since I got her last February! She's the boss of the flock and none of the girls are "peckers". I did get a bit concerned at first, treated her bum with all sorts of stuff that didn't really seem to do anything, so, as they're wormed and de-loused regularly, get nourishing food, are warm and happy, I'm ignoring it (even though 1 granddaughter says she looks like a babboon )
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

The new feathers that are coming through on the ex-batts are really funny as they look multicoloured (blue, purple etc) they look like unshaven thugs at the moment
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

thanks for all that advice. I have been and purchased an industrial size pot of vaseline and will see how that goes. What about stockholm tar? would that keep them off? I also wonder if i have doused them too liberally with red mite powder and loftsan - when cleaning out the coop - could that cause an irritation in itself? it is only really visible when their feathers part and its all bare underneath.... rather like arthur scargill on a windy day!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                    thanks for all that advice. I have been and purchased an industrial size pot of vaseline and will see how that goes. What about stockholm tar? would that keep them off? I also wonder if i have doused them too liberally with red mite powder and loftsan - when cleaning out the coop - could that cause an irritation in itself? it is only really visible when their feathers part and its all bare underneath.... rather like arthur scargill on a windy day!
                    I'd hold the Stockholm tar till you really need it. Good stuff but powerful! Good for anti-pecking but stays on feathers for ever! I'm sure it's time of the year. They just don't read the books on the correct pattern of feather loss in the moult!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                      My Hazel has had a bright red bum since I got her last February! She's the boss of the flock and none of the girls are "peckers". I did get a bit concerned at first, treated her bum with all sorts of stuff that didn't really seem to do anything, so, as they're wormed and de-loused regularly, get nourishing food, are warm and happy, I'm ignoring it (even though 1 granddaughter says she looks like a babboon )
                      Try Canestan cream. One of my ex-batts had this and I took her to the vet with one who was poorly. Between us we concluded it was "vent gleet" which is a fungal type infection. The vet advised trying Canestan. We had to jump through hoops at the chemist to get it as it's not licensed for poultry. My daughter had to go through her symptoms with the pharmacist before she got it! It took a while but Blondie has new frilly knickers in time for Christmas. I also put sudacrem on once a day.

Comment

Thanks for that Suechooks, I've got some Canestan in the medicine cupboard so I'll give it a go tomorrow
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                          Thanks for that Suechooks, I've got some Canestan in the medicine cupboard so I'll give it a go tomorrow
                          You're very welcome Maureen! If you get the cream as near to/or into the vent as possible it'll help clear anything inside. My Blondie looks so cute now with her little frills after being so red and sore looking for months!

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X