No announcement yet.

Battery hen update????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan-flippin-tastic We're not yet sure whether they're the white ones or not, she only managed to get on the list because there'd been a cancellation. I've already named them Holly (of course) and Lavender
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I found this written in 2002

BBC NEWS | UK Politics | Battery hens 'to be banned'

...anyone know if it's on target or what????
      If I read the article right, they will be large cages holding several birds, and each bird will have the 600cm2 floor space. Its still not enough, birds will still peck the bejesus out of each other in a cage that size.
      I haven't put my name down to get some from the Coventry rescue, but am keeping an eye out for any in the New Year.

I keep having to explain to peeps at work why I don't have any eggs, because due to the battery system, we have got used to having eggs all year round. I'm getting 1-2 eggs a week or thereabouts and my girls seem to be enjoying their rest, apart from the rain that is.
      Last edited by kirsty b; 13-12-2008, 01:31 PM.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Ooh, lucky you Maureen

How many is that now?
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr It'll be 13, 9 ex-batts, 2 Black Star & 2 Bluebelles. Better get on with making the huge coop! Wish it'd stop raining though

Comment

Ohh, brill Maureen, I'll look out for Becci, I'll be in a black Land Rover with DD. Shame I won't get to meet you though. Lovely Chrimble pressy for the chooks too

I bought another BIIIGGG feeder today.

Glutton - you think I'm bonkers you should meet my girlies
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Just looked at the new improved cage. What a load of b0llox!!! It's still outrageous - another publicity stunt to allow us to THINK they're listening to our plight and correcting the problem.

It's not enough....but...means they'll be plenty ex batts available for Hayley to snatch up! You addict!!
              I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got it too, I'm afraid!

I just emailed Little Hen Rescue about the white ones...

Comment

Eggsellent Glutton Whooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooo more saved from prison and pet food!!

Comment

still sulkin.................. still can't have any.

even brat2 asked me if we could keep some at the lottie when we get it ( we can't), at this rate i may have to rent a ruddy field somewhere.
                    Last edited by BrideXIII; 15-12-2008, 09:54 PM.
                    Vive Le Revolution!!!
                    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

We moved house so I could have my chickens and veg garden.

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post
                        Just looked at the new improved cage. What a load of b0llox!!! It's still outrageous - another publicity stunt to allow us to THINK they're listening to our plight and correcting the problem.

It's not enough....but...means they'll be plenty ex batts available for Hayley to snatch up! You addict!!
                        ROFL

I have a feeling I may be stopped after this little run, will have to see how the demand meets the jump in supply. Sold out yeaterday and again today and I've a forward order for 18 eggs at the end of the week .

Hoppy is looking outa sorts, she's Hoppy cause...... yep you got it..... but she doesn't hop any more. Found an egg today (probably hers) with just a thin membrane around it, methinks she's a moulting. Sounds daft when they don't really have many feathers in the first place. I've started added in oyster grit to their pellets just in case any of them haven't sussed what the grit hopper is, though it has been emptied once by someone.
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I bake and crush my shells and add them to their morning mash. They don't get any corn until it's gone, but I still get a thin-shelled egg every other day.

At the moment I am getting 3-4 eggs a day from 8 Hens, so I guess they are each laying every other day? So I've got one who's either spitting out the grit, or just can't make a proper shell any more. The little b*ggers eat that one if they got to it before me!

Got to get some more though, they're so rewarding. I've had them six weeks but I'm still as excited with every egg as I was with the first!

So shoot me...

Comment

Thin shells/no shells happen to a couple of mine too. I've put it down to their age plus the moult. Chickens draw on their body calcium to make the shells and even though I give mine lots of extra calcium, I still get them. I did have a bit of an improvement when I put some limestone flour in their mash, but the youngsters don't need the extra. Hmmmm need to find a way of giving the ex-batts it without the others getting it!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                              Thin shells/no shells happen to a couple of mine too. I've put it down to their age plus the moult. Chickens draw on their body calcium to make the shells and even though I give mine lots of extra calcium, I still get them. I did have a bit of an improvement when I put some limestone flour in their mash, but the youngsters don't need the extra. Hmmmm need to find a way of giving the ex-batts it without the others getting it!
                              And mine! I find I get 3 or 4 over about a week and then none for several weeks. To encourage them to eat the oyster shell I've moved the dish to somewhere outside the run. It seems to have stimulated their interest and I see some have a quick nibble on the way past!

Comment

OK, I've been naughty.

I emailed the Little Hen Rescue about white chooks.

I had an email back saying I can pick them up on Saturday.

Just got to break it to the rest of the family now...

OH is fine, Dad's expecting me too anyway, Mum's not happy about having more...

'Tough' I say

Roll on Saturday

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X