X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery hen update????

I found this written in 2002

BBC NEWS | UK Politics | Battery hens 'to be banned'

...anyone know if it's on target or what????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

It's interesting to see. I've not seen any articles updating this info, but I'd be interested to know if the farmers are just going to give up altogether in 2012 or wait till the last minute before upgrading. The "new" conditions are still appalling
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Farmers will still be able to use "enriched" cages, which have more space - 600sq cm per bird - plus a nest box, perch and litter.

so basically they aren't gonna ban them completely, they just won't be so small

Comment

's'cuse my maths- but isn't that 30cm x 20 cm....but isn't that the length and width of a standard hen????

Comment

A lot are giving up and selling their cages to Canada, where they are still going to be allowed to keep hens like this. So we will be able to add air miles on to the list of grim for these eggs.

Comment

Well if they put the price of battery eggs up then people will maybe think a bit more about what they're buying. Free range eggs are still a cheap meal

Comment

The new cages are almost as bad as now, the "enrichment" is a tiny dust bath size of a C5 envelope. It depends on whether farmers can afford to 'upgrade' or not, still pretty disgusting
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My girls have been out of their cage for just over two months, and the picture at the start of this thread had me in tears thinking of them in that situation. I can't imagine their huge personalities, let alone their tiny bodies, stuffed into those surroundings. Anything is an improvement, no matter how paltry

or poultry......

Two months on they are fat (my fault and I don't care) and feathery, except for their necks which are still bald from poking through the wires of the cage. I can only assume that it did them permanent damage
                http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Hashette View Post
                  My girls have been out of their cage for just over two months, and the picture at the start of this thread had me in tears thinking of them in that situation. I can't imagine their huge personalities, let alone their tiny bodies, stuffed into those surroundings. Anything is an improvement, no matter how paltry

or poultry......

Two months on they are fat (my fault and I don't care) and feathery, except for their necks which are still bald from poking through the wires of the cage. I can only assume that it did them permanent damage
                  My girls have been with me since January this year. Some of them are only just getting feathers on top of their heads following a mini-moult, so don't give up hope of neck feathers yet Hashette! I looked back at my 1st day photos and couldn't believe the difference. Brought a big lump to my throat specially seeing 2 who only stayed with me a few weeks and looked so awful. My consolation is that they did feel the sun and real earth to scratch in and they didn't die alone but hopefully knew they were cared for.

Comment

18 more next Saturday (six are for a friend) have no idea what the girls will think of the new whites - I hope they're not racist
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Well done Hayley!!!..it'll be their best Xmas ever!!!!

Comment

Cheers Nicos, I wonder though - I have visions of brown chooks in white sheets doing a version of the Klu Klux
                        Hayley B

Comment

You're bonkers Hayley

I want some white ones, and really want to get some of those free-rangers from Norfolk, but my folks are back from Spain now, and so far they're not happy about the idea. In fact Mother's comment was a straight 'No'

She's happy to have any spare eggs though
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'm SO lucky!

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                            18 more next Saturday (six are for a friend) have no idea what the girls will think of the new whites - I hope they're not racist
                            Number 2 daughter (number 3 child) and 2 granddaughters have just been to see me. Bec knows that I like surprises for Christmas and never ever open presents till the day. She brought my present over and said it was really important that I opened it now as something dreadful would happen if I didn't. Inside the package was a voucher (hand made) that read:
                            "Merry Christmas Mum.
                            For your Christmas Present this year, I decided not to buy you toiletries or a scarf or gloves!! Instead, on the 20th December I am taking you to Coventry to collect two chickens to join your lovely group.

All our love and kisses

Becci, Baz, Emily, Hope and Pheobe
                            xxxxx"

Isn't that just the best present ever! Just a tiny little problem, I'm actually going to Bridlington on 20th for our "Sister's Christmas Bash" plus I've already given away my spare coop . Problems sorted. Bec will go and get the chooks (plus 2 for herself) and keep them as lodgers for me till I've sorted out some accommodation for them. She's so lovely

So Hayley, if you see my Becci at Coventry (I've told her to look out for someone collecting 18) please say hello to her

Comment

What a lovely gift!!!
                              4 more happy chooks......
                              Last edited by Nicos; 13-12-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X