Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to keep a couple of chickens?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to keep a couple of chickens?

I want to have a couple of chickens for eggs. But I live in an estate, kind of medium sized garden about 20m x 20m, which I do grow a lot of vegs and flowers. Do I have enough space for a few chickens? Please advise.

they don't need much space really, obviously the more you can give them the better, but as long as they have shelter and somewhere to run round they will be fine .... i think the space is something like 2 square meters per bird?? but i'm sure an expert will be along soon to correct me .... oh and you are better to get 3, so that if anything happens to one, then the other still has a friend

Comment

Make sure it doesn't say in your deeds that you can't have chickens forst. A friend of mine got caught out.

You need a coop and run area, feeder, drinker, feed, grit, shell, shredded paper or such for bedding, something to clean the coop with that's chicken friendly, and wormer as necessities.

Other things like poultry spice, mite powder and will be needed after.

janeyo

Comment

yes you have room, they need an old shed or home made chook house or if your posh you can buy an egglu, they will need for prefrence but not essential a covered run at LEAST a meter long by half a meter, that you can put them in when your not there and to move around the garden, water bowls, food bowls, and straw for bedding.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Definitely 3 because they don't like being an only one, so if 1 dies, there's still company for the other. If you're on a tight budget, a converted rabbit hutch (from Freecycle) plus some form of making an enclosed run for them. Like others have said, feeder, bucket for water, food, bedding, lots of love. If you want eggs straight away from day 1 then go for ex-battery. They're lovely birds even though they've very few feathers to start off with, already been vaccinated etc and reward you with eggs and "conversation"
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Try getting the book "Starting with Chickens" by Katie Thear. Do make sure you're allowed chooks as Janeyo says. If you can't why not try an allotment. I keep mine there - not ideal but better than not having them. Rather more of a committment as you have to go to let out and put to bed.

Comment

thanks for the advise. Will check the deeds but it sounds promising so far. I am on the waiting list for an alotment for 2 years now, there is no hope of getting one.

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X