Creamy Yellow Throthy Droopings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creamy Yellow Throthy Droopings

Hi All, I'm really new to this (1 week) and I'm a little concerned about one of our Hens. She's an Amber and we got her free with the others as she was small (stopped growing at 13 weeks) and was bullied by the other hens at the farm.

Since she arrived last week I've noticed that her poo started off normal, changed to slightly bloody/runny and is now just a yellow froth. She eats LOADS and is very active so I wonder what it could be.

Has anyone else had problems with coccidiosis or Fowl Pest - I've looked at my chook keeping books and she could be exhibiting symptoms of either of these deseases or something else. It's not mites (far to cold) and mites wouldn't stop her growning......

Thanks loads for any advice
    Last edited by lizzylemon; 21-12-2008, 08:44 PM.

Worms? Has she been wormed recently?
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Hmmmmm, I don't know. Maybe being the "runt" of the flock he didn't bother to worm her. Have to say I didn't notice any wigglers or squirmers in it. It was mainly frothy (yay correct spelling) watery stuff - bit like a giant coockoo spit.....

Comment

coccidiosis is usually in younger birds (how old is she?), investigated this when one of mine was unwell.
        Def worm her. Also could be the change in environment/food upsetting her tummy and they will often do frothy poos, apparently 1 in 10 poos is 'different'!
        Welcome and let us know how she is, whereabouts are you?

Comment

Hi Vicky, thanks for the welcome:-)

Technically I'm Swaffham Prior, Cambridgeshire. In reality, it's the a*se end of nowhere but we love it. Fab views and very little passing traffic (they're normally lost).

The farmer said they are about 21 weeks - they're all supposed to be POL but she seems to have stopped developing at 13 weeks. No comb, very small and no sign of sexual maturity at all for her.

I'll get worm stuff on Monday and do the 4 girls together. At the moment I would say her frothy poos are the norm. Perhaps it's just a case of greed as she can actually get to the feed for a change - she's pretty much had her beak in the pellets since she arrived. I swear she's doubled.

Comment

She doesn't sound ill from what you say about her in general - if they go off their food that's when I get worried!
            Maybe give her a bit longer to 'settle in' (but keep an eye on her)?
            I'm sure some others will be along soon, they may be able to help more?

(I live on a road too where every time you hear a vehicle you know they're going to ask for directions...)

Comment

Hi lizzylemon, and welcome to the 'vine

I've had my ex-batts six weeks and I noticed the odd yellow frothy poo after a couple of weeks. They then stopped! To be on the safe side I got some Flubenvet from the Vet, as I was there at the time, he laughed and said most people worm them when they come into lay, then don't bother any more but he's more of a Horse vet than anything else

I'm no expert on chicken poo, but I know they vary a h*eck of a lot! Like Vicky, I'd only be worried if she went off her food - mine are greedy little wotsits. Good luck. X
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks guys you've all been really very reassuring and if she stops eating then I'll worry. Unless I hear otherwise!!

(I always feel a certain sense of smugness when I see a car zoom past as I know they'll be zooming back again a minute or two later!LOL)

Comment

Hi All, well a few days on certainly sees a marked changed. They're still not "perfect" poos but they certanly have more form and solidity about them. The 2 red hens (Clap Clap and theunnamedone) have quite picking on her too so I guess it's looking good....

Comment

That's good to hear Lizzie, hope the improvement continues
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Mine have been producing yellowy frothies too but most are in moult so probably that, I've decided I'll only fret if one is definitely not eating.
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Ha! Yes I agree Hayley - only worry if they stop eating!! Pea (as in chickpea) hasn't stopped since they arrived. I'm sure she thought all her birthdays had arrived at once when she got here. Being the 'runt' of the flock I guess getting food was by hook or crook for her at the farm and now it's on tap all the time. Plus I'm sure if I had a peek at her in the night she'd be pecking in her sleep too if she could, so no wonder she had the sqwits!!! Also I guess going from the smallest to the 2nd largest is a pretty good indication of health too - I think I might have got a layer for free - cool!
                        Last edited by lizzylemon; 21-12-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Hens can lay the odd yellow poo (I think they call it a caecal poo) which is completely normal. However, if it is frothy, it could indicate mycoplasm bacteria, which can be nasty and infectious. You could try putting some apple cider vinegar (ACV - available from equine stores) or garlic (a peeled clove) in her drinking water, and hopefully it should clear up. Make sure the coop is clean and dry. You could also try Respite, which is a good tonic for helping hens recover from bugs before it turns into something more serious. If it goes on for more than a month, she might need extra treatment (antibiotics - Baytril or Tylan from the vets), but most of the time the hen gets over it themselves without too much bother.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Hi Birdie Wife, thanks for the very helpful info. I've just brought some garlic in from the shed so I'll drop a clove in the water dispenser in the morning. Is the AVC the same as the cooking stuff as I also have some of that in the kitchen.....

The main thing that made me ask in the first place was the frothy aspect (it's something the health visitor says about babies too) but it does seem to be clearing up by it's self. I clean them out every couple of days so keep a close eye on their poo habits, vents etc. Apart from wanting a cluck of healthy girls I worry about cross over to the bambina so.......

Worrisome mums eh!!

Comment

Apple cider vinegar can be got from horsey places. Its not the same as kitchen cider vinegar. I put about 20 ml into the drinking water alternate days. Some people use less and some more. I expect you'll get loads of forum advice. There was a good article in Practical Poultry mag a bit back and another about garlic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X