Moulting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting

Does anyone know what triggers moulting?
    I'm amazed that Mrs Betty Taylor is in moult at this time of year. All her tail feathers are gone, no knickers so a baldy bum and a bald throat and back of the neck so far.
    The feathers in these areas are starting to grow back nicely but now she's lost every feather on her head and has just quills at the moment which looks rather bizarre.
    She must be getting very chilly in this weather and the daft thing insists on sleeping outside with mates Enid and Barbara (on henhouse in covered run). They went through all last winter like this and seem fine, but then no-one was moulting then.

At least I've got the three newbies, Monica, Maud and Ruby to actually sleep inside the henhouse...
    Sue

I'm not sure what triggers it Sue,I just presume that it's an annual thing they go through?The bantams we had a couple of years ago were winter moulters also...seemed odd to me,but they appeared to get through it with no probs.Sure she'll be just fine...but if you're concerned,then maybe try popping her into the coop at night.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Most of mine have been through moult, but I still have 3 who are looking pretty raggy still.

They start around Oct for the first ones out of my girls
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Supposedly they are supposed to moult in preparation for winter, as the new feathers are thicker and warmer than the old ones they've had all year, although lots seem to get a bit confused and do it in the middle of winter!

Comment

Don't forget winter has come early this year to us 'southerners.' Where I am we don't usually get frosts until into the new year, but we've had several this year already. Although it's like a spring day here today.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Our hens had supposedly all gone through their first moult and were coming back into lay when we got them. That would appear to be true for the Warrens but the two Australorp are just coming into lay for the first time I suspect (due to production of some very small eggs). They also seem to lose a lot of feathers overnight - easy to tell it is them as the feathers are black! Wondering if they are going to moult or if they just lose lots of feathers naturally.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X