Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hen pecked dog

Am hoping someone can give me some advice
    My lovely Beagle, Hoochey is being pecked bald by my hen ( aptly named Batty )
    he doesn't seem to mind and just sits there while she pulls his fur out - but it looks gross poor bald necked dog.
    Is there anything I can do to stop this - Have tried tying a scarf round his neck but she just pecks somewhere else, also he's not big on fashion and hates wearing it.
    I dont want to seperate them in the daytime as they seem to get along very well in all other respects.
    CUE the rspca knocking on the madwomans door .....

You could try anti peck spray, although I don't know if this is ok to be put on dogs as they might lick it off!

Comment

They won't be able to lick it off behind the neck - but anywhere else they might. You'll need to check the contents to see if it's dangerous to dogs. Although, I'd doubt it'll taste nice enough for them to lick off - if it's anti peck!
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personally I'd be terrified that the dog (a hound) would get fed up and finish off the hen. Wouldn't trust dogs alone with hens. If you're leaving them when you are out how about putting one of them in a cage? You can get quite big ones for dogs - so-called indoor kennels. Or just a barrier so they are together but separate?

Comment

Thanks for the advice
          Do you know where you get antipeck spray from ?
          I'm sure there is no way Hoochey would kill Batty they get on very well - if anything its Batty the Hen who is boss

Comment

in my experience anti peck spray doesnt work. it didnt stop my hen pecking feathers out of another hen
            my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

ha i bet you're right
              I spent a fortune on anti chew spray when Hooch was a pup and he still chewed the stuff i had sprayed
              someone must be making a fortune out of these products

Comment

Originally posted by hooraynana View Post
                Thanks for the advice
                Do you know where you get antipeck spray from ?
                I'm sure there is no way Hoochey would kill Batty they get on very well - if anything its Batty the Hen who is boss
                You can get the spray from pet shops. It's developed for cage birds - parrots etc who apparently peck their own feathers out when bored. Not surprisingly called Anti-peck! Made I think by Johnsons.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X