Wormy poo

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wormy poo

Help needed I think ... I emptied the sh*t tray yesterday and there was one poo with a load of (dead) worms in it. They're about 2" long and quite a wad of them.

But - only one poo had them in and I don't know which of our 3 girls has had the problem, or when, or if it is ongoing. No one seems poorly or is not laying.

What do I do? I started them on VermX this morning but is this more of a preventative, and should I be using Fluven?
    Last edited by T-lady; 22-12-2008, 12:56 PM. Reason: typing error
    Cheers

T-lady

I think so T-lady - as you say, Verm-X is only a preventative, I think you'd need a proprietory wormer from the vet once you've got actual trouble, eg. Flubenvet (I think that's how it's spelt, anyway!).

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Definitely Flubenvet. If you can't get it from the vet, try Pet Dispensary online, quick delivery from there Pet Dispensary - Pet Prescriptions - Cheap pet medications - Dogs prescriptions - Cat Prescriptions - Worming Tablets - Frontline Animal flea treatment
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thanks Birdie Wife and Maureen. I've just phoned the vet and booked an appointment tomorrow so I can get hold of the Flubenvet. Rather ridiculously they want me to take a chicken in with me which I think is quite daft. The girls don't like to travel and I don't even know which lady has the worms. Ah well, the things we do for chickeny-love!

Thanks for the link Maureen, I'll keep it for next time when I've got to grips with it all and don't need the reassurance of the vet visit.
        Cheers

T-lady

Comment

They only want you to take a chicken with you so they can have a look at her and charge you for the examination! Cynical? Me? Perhaps
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Really disgusting, found some in my posh birds poo when we first got her, they're ever so big to be inside a chicken!!! I gave her VermX and I've never seen any since, worm them every month now.

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
              Thanks Birdie Wife and Maureen. I've just phoned the vet and booked an appointment tomorrow so I can get hold of the Flubenvet. Rather ridiculously they want me to take a chicken in with me which I think is quite daft. The girls don't like to travel and I don't even know which lady has the worms. Ah well, the things we do for chickeny-love!

Thanks for the link Maureen, I'll keep it for next time when I've got to grips with it all and don't need the reassurance of the vet visit.

I know you are talking chickens here but to me vets are all the same with whatever animal! I have 5 cats every time I want flea treatment for them and that's once a month the vet wants to see one of the cats! I then have to pay a £20.00 consultation fee on top of the £36.00 for the 6 pack frontline combo, which you can't get online without a vets prescription! Back to square one vet wants to see a cat, same would go for worming tabs but think I can get them online with no perscription! VET JUST WANTS YOUR MONEY££££££

I had a row on the phone with my vet recently, reminded them that they had already seen and treated one of my cats that month for something else but said he was fine so no I was not going to bring him back in or any of the girls as they were all fit and healthy! Told the vet I was just trying to do my best and get the flea treatment to keep them healthy! Vet gave in but only for that one time! They said they would not be able to do that again! It's policy to see a pet b4 prescribing medication .

Am thinking of just using the normal frontline now and getting the house spray as well, I know you can get that online it will work out a bit cheaper and save the time and petrol going to the vet as well! To me it is madnes not being able to get the frontline combo on its own no consult fee! Could just bring the cats in couple times a year for an MOT! Or if one of them is ill!

Moan over I'm off my soap box now!
              Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

I started VermX from the start with my girls, 1st-3rd of every month so then I remember to do it.
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I get frontline from my local feed store. All I need to provide is my name and address on the receipt and sign it.
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

Yes our local countrystore does frontline and I think they do the flubenvet too - ask around I think the shop just needs to have someone with the relevant training to sell 'prescription' wormers.

Comment

Don't get me started on the subject of worms. Have used both Verm-x and Flubenvet to no effect. I just keep worming every month and use Stalosan F in the run and coop. I have also put lime around the garden in the hope of killing any worm eggs in the soil.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, you can get frontline almost anywhere, but not combo - you need a prescription for that because it's a POM. Anyway, your Vet sounds crap Irie - there is absolutely no need to see a cat each time you buy flea treatment - they're well and truly extracting the urine!

Change Vets!
                        I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                          I get frontline from my local feed store. All I need to provide is my name and address on the receipt and sign it.
                          Frontline can be bought online but then you have to get the spray to treat the house and furnishings as well!

It is the Frontline Combo which treats the pet and the house that you can't get online without a vet perscription. is stupid!

One Love & Unity

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post
                            Yeah, you can get frontline almost anywhere, but not combo - you need a prescription for that because it's a POM. Anyway, your Vet sounds crap Irie - there is absolutely no need to see a cat each time you buy flea treatment - they're well and truly extracting the urine!

Change Vets!
                            I know what you are saying about vet taking the piss but I have had 2 different vets at defferent places local to me, tell me the same thing. There are times I just cant afford to take them so they have to go without, thats why Im thinking switching back to just the frontline and buying online!

Hope your Chickens are ok T-Lady!

One Love & Unity

Comment

Originally posted by Irie Jan View Post
                              I know you are talking chickens here but to me vets are all the same with whatever animal! I have 5 cats every time I want flea treatment for them and that's once a month the vet wants to see one of the cats! I then have to pay a £20.00 consultation fee on top of the £36.00 for the 6 pack frontline combo, which you can't get online without a vets prescription! Back to square one vet wants to see a cat, same would go for worming tabs but think I can get them online with no perscription! VET JUST WANTS YOUR MONEY££££££

I had a row on the phone with my vet recently, reminded them that they had already seen and treated one of my cats that month for something else but said he was fine so no I was not going to bring him back in or any of the girls as they were all fit and healthy! Told the vet I was just trying to do my best and get the flea treatment to keep them healthy! Vet gave in but only for that one time! They said they would not be able to do that again! It's policy to see a pet b4 prescribing medication .

Am thinking of just using the normal frontline now and getting the house spray as well, I know you can get that online it will work out a bit cheaper and save the time and petrol going to the vet as well! To me it is madnes not being able to get the frontline combo on its own no consult fee! Could just bring the cats in couple times a year for an MOT! Or if one of them is ill!

Moan over I'm off my soap box now!
                              Our vet has a notice up, that they will not prescribe unless they have seen the animal within a certain length of time (6 months for dogs and cats), which is not unreasonable IMO. We get wormer and Frontline without any arguments, because they go fairly often for vaccinations.
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X