Nearly a catastrophy!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly a catastrophy!

Arrived at the allotment this afternoon to find one of my newest chickens hanging upside down by her foot!!!!
    I had hung a brussel sprout plant in the run and I can only assume the chooks had pecked at it until it came free leaving a loop of string. Somehow, I know not how, as the loop was 3 foot off the ground, one of my POL chooks managed to get one of its feet in the loop!
    I feared the worst and just threw down the pile of stale bread I had for them and lifted her up to take the weight off her foot. After untangling her and giving her a bit of a cuddle I put her down and she went straight and grabbed a lump of bread.
    She seems none the worse for being upside down for who knows how long. Her foot was a bit cold...........but so would mine be if I had been hanging upside down by my ankle!
    Cripes knows how long she had been there.............just goes to show you...........you have to expect the unexpected with chooks!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Bet your heart was in your mouth for a while there Snadger. I'm glad she's none the worse for her adventure!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Crikey things must be bad if she tried to hang herself, mustn't give my Klus any ideas

Glad she's fine Snadger
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Perhaps she'd seen the queues at Asda today and just couldn't face them. The police were on traffic patrol this lunchtime at our local store supervising a 'one in, one out' kind of thing. No wonder they couldn't turn up to investigate our burglary, too busy doing REALLY important work like this!

Glad your chicken is OK Snadger.
        Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
          Perhaps she'd seen the queues at Asda today and just couldn't face them. The police were on traffic patrol this lunchtime at our local store supervising a 'one in, one out' kind of thing. No wonder they couldn't turn up to investigate our burglary, too busy doing REALLY important work like this!

Glad your chicken is OK Snadger.
          God only knows what would have happened if she's got her neck entangled rather than her foot!.........Probably a very small Christmas roast!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I put the greens in a wire hanging basket suspended from a bar across the run. That way you avoid loops of string, and its easy to just chuck stuff in. The basket was only 75p from Wilkos.

Comment

Oh Snadger, thank goodness she's ok! I hate to think how I'd have reacted if it was one of mine
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

pheweee glad she's ok
                your other hens must be gutted you removed the trapese act

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                  Oh Snadger, thank goodness she's ok! I hate to think how I'd have reacted if it was one of mine
                  She was really quite calm.........I wasn't!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shame you didn't catch it on camera... could've sent it to one of those animal 'funny' shows!

Only joking, hope she's ok. I once shut one of ours toes in the door as I was tying to get out. She was hopping up and down, but was absolutely fine once rescued, I was in more of a flap than she was!

janeyo

Comment

OMG

I'm soooooo worried about my chooks too..they have to stay indoors until next Sunday so the dogs/foxes can't get at them...and there are two cockerels who get on OK at the moment- but I'm worried they may attack each other- so my farmer's wife who is caring for them is on alert in case one of the cocks needs a 'good seeing to' before we return.

You can plan for everything and these individual life forms can still surprise us!!!

Glad she's Ok Snadge
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My OH has just reminded me that most euopean farmers seem to carry chooks to market hung up side down by their legs all day and they still seem to e fine
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Glad she was ok Snadge.
                          Mine are always pulling daft stunts.
                          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                            I put the greens in a wire hanging basket suspended from a bar across the run. That way you avoid loops of string, and its easy to just chuck stuff in. The basket was only 75p from Wilkos.
                            I'm always in Wilkos but haven't seen these. Were they in the pet section or meant for another purpose?

Comment

Sorry, pressed the button before I had finished. Glad your chook was OK Snadger.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X