• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a really stoopid question,

but do chickens wee??

Must do surely? or they would go POP!
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

well i was expecting the bedding to get wet, but other than a bit of moisture round their poop, which dries really quickly, there doesn't seem to be any wet patches, considering the amount of water they drink

Comment

Their wee and poo come out as one. They only have one vent - for eggs, poo and wee.

janeyo

Comment

There's yer answer - it comes out of the same place. Same as adult hens wee and poop are mixed together.
          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Their urine and poop is all deposited as one blob from a single opening called the cloaca (or 'vent'), which serves both urinary, digestive, and reproductive functions.

Chickens have no urinary bladder. They have no need for a urinary bladder to temporarily store urine like we do, because their urine is not in a liquid form. Their ureters empty directly into the cloaca and the urates are deposited as a white paste that caps the poo.

Last edited by Bephlam; 23-12-2008, 10:18 PM.
            I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Beat me to it Janey - Hi
              http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

actually that's pretty gross,

but i guess that answers that then lol, thanks, i wasn't worried.... honest ..... just seems strange that the bedding is so dry, when they have been in there for a week, and no smell either
                Last edited by lynda66; 23-12-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                  Their wee and poo come out as one. They only have one vent - for eggs, poo and wee.
                  And it's called a cloaca.

If you look at the poo, the white bit is wee and the darker bit is number two.

* just scrolled up to see Bephlam beat me to it
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-12-2008, 08:49 AM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Strangely enough...........I've been collecting the chicken poo from my coop in barrels for composting and even though there's plenty of 'white' or wee = ammonia, it aint heating up or stinking?
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Strangely enough...........I've been collecting the chicken poo from my coop in barrels for composting and even though there's plenty of 'white' or wee = ammonia, it aint heating up or stinking?
                      The reactions that cause the smell etc only happen when it is wet enough (and warm enough)
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X