Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What treat are you giving chooks on Christmas day?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What treat are you giving chooks on Christmas day?

Thread title says it all really!

Mine will get some hot mash for a change with whatever veg I can scrounge from my plot mixed in with it!

And in exchange they will give me some eggs for my christmas brekkie!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

well as mine are obsessed with mealworms ..... i guess thats what they will get

Comment

Not chooks - but my guinea pigs will get all the veg peelings, and my parrot will get a bit of everything except the meat.... he likes to sit on my shoulder and pick my teeth
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Gross eh? One of our cockatiels used to try to pull my ear-rings out when she was on my shoulder. That makes your eyes water!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

my one and only is getting a large bulb of garlic................ up its bottom
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Mine will get a nice warm bowl of porridge with poultry spice and raisins. That's what they got for their birthday too. They might get some cauliflower too as I've ended up with 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Strepsy View Post
              Mine will get a nice warm bowl of porridge with poultry spice and raisins. That's what they got for their birthday too. They might get some cauliflower too as I've ended up with 3.
              Oh yes.........forgot about the spice Chooks like the taste and I like the smell of it! Might even pinch a few sultanas that were destined for the crimbo cake!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

...and now I feel guilty..my poor chooks will be indoors for a whole week after free rangeing for the last 6 weeks

..I have left a bag of raisins for a treat each day.
                Lets hope they enjoy them!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mine will get their usual mash in the morning. I have tried to wean them off it and on to pellets, but they don't really want to know - I guess it's comfort food, so I don't blame them.

In the afternoon they'll get meal worms or raisins with their corn.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine really love the mash as well, but they soon got the hang of all the other good stuff there is to eat - mealworms, corn, everything in the flower beds, my ankles......

And they're very welcome to peck away at all of them, me and the OH are just debating whether it's light enough to let them out and wish them a very different Christmas from the one they had last year
                    Last edited by Hashette; 25-12-2008, 07:26 AM.
                    http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Originally posted by Hashette View Post
                      Mine really love the mash as well, but they soon got the hang of all the other good stuff there is to eat - mealworms, corn, everything in the flower beds, my ankles......

And they're very welcome to peck away at all of them, me and the OH are just debating whether it's light enough to let them out and wish them a very different Christmas from the one they had last year
                      I agree Hashette, maybe it's time of year to say a little prayer for the poor battery hens who will be celebrating crimbo in an 18 inch cube of wire!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ours just had a sprinkle of the mealworms I got for Christmas (I know it sounds like an odd prezzie but I also got a lovely birdtable - built by Madmax and the boys). Quite amusing.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Mine have had grapes and mealworms this morning. OH has just hung 2 corn cobs up and later they will have some porridge mixed with other goodies. Yesterday they gave me 5 eggs (from 6) which is 2 more than usual at the moment. I did tell them to have today off but haven't looked yet to see if they laid after all.

Comment

Well my girls down on the lottie have had their ususal morning mash at 8 o'clock, some spaghettii soaked bread and a couple of cabbages at lunchtime and will be having their porridge, corn, meal worms and sultanas at bedtime. Like us all I'm trying to make up for the miserable time they had before we had them. Thing is I think it's only me who remembers now though they do still have some cage habits. Happy Santy Paws day chooks!

Comment

Well mine have had sprout trimmimnngs mixed with Jordans breakfast muesli, currants , sultanas and a liberal sprinkling of mixed corn. I wished them Merry Christmas and they reciprocated with nine eggs and Boc boc boock chook which I take to mean 'and a Merry Christmas to you' or it could have meant 'Have you got any more sprouts Dad?'

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X