Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What treat are you giving chooks on Christmas day?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine are currently trying to kill each other over diced swede and sweetcorn, they don't think much of carrots for some reason, but the swede is definitely going, all covered with homemeade gravy, and a few bits of turkey chucked in for good measure, (that went first) .... i know it's a bit canibalistic, but they said it's yum

think i might give em a leg bone to pick at tomorrow
    Last edited by lynda66; 25-12-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

errrrrrrmmmmmm is it possible for chooks to burst??? it this rate they are all gonna explode lol

Comment

Mine got pellets and the sprout trimmings as I prepared them last night.

Saved all todays veg peelings and they will have Boxing Day feast tomorrow.
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Icing sugar and end of Christmas cake for my lot this afternoon, that should restore my popularity make up for squirting gentian over a couple of pecked bits yesterday.
          http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Our ladies had pellets and mash in the morning (whities are still weaning) named one of the whities Fluffy cause she is, gave them a treat of mixed corn at mucking out time along with wheat husks from the straw while they were "helping" with the mucking out. Then they had dinner or cooked brussels with chestnuts, cranberry sauce, green beans, mashed potato, a couple of roast potatos and a couple of roast parsnips. I think they were all a bit bloated after that
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

And of course I didn't make too much Xmas dinner for the humans on purpose - NOT
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My brother is chook sitting for neighbours this Christmas. When he made his first visit there was a note which said 'please give the girls some sunflower seeds if they look glum'. He says he has no idea when a chook is looking glum, so he gave them some anyway - as it was Christmas!
                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfreyfan View Post
                  My brother is chook sitting for neighbours this Christmas. When he made his first visit there was a note which said 'please give the girls some sunflower seeds if they look glum'. He says he has no idea when a chook is looking glum, so he gave them some anyway - as it was Christmas!
                  lol, that made me smile, only someone with chickens would say something like that
                  Last edited by lynda66; 27-12-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The treat my chooks got for Christmas was seeing me back home today They all asked me where I'd been and thank you for giving us some nice corn and stuff and that other ooman that was looking after us didn't give us anything except basic rations! I've told them I'll make up for it when I've cooked them some mashed potatoes and been to the lottie to get them a cabbage
                    Last edited by MaureenHall; 27-12-2008, 01:55 PM.
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

You Grapes often mention cabbage for Chooks. Mine just look at it in disgust. Can't get them to eat it, or cooked spud peelings.

I make it up to them with Meal Worms and Raisins, which they love.

By the way, Maureen how are the new ones?
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Harrumph, they turned their beaks up at my Christmas cake! Apparently icing makes the beak stick together.

Unfortunately it didn't stick Tilly's beak together for very long, she's back to yelling her head off again. Who needs a cockerel when you can have an ex bat with attitude
                        http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

The new ones are still lodgers at my daughters They're doing really well though, Holly isn't a bit shy now and Lavender is being cared for by Janet (my granddaughter's chicken). I'm hoping that we get the new big walk-in coop-shed erected tomorrow so I can bring them both home and start the integration process again

Oh NO!!! Just remembered what Hazel was like each time I've introduced new ones - she grumbles at the top of her voice for hours! Better remember to get extra cotton-wool for the neighbours ears

Comment

Yes, I've got a noisy one! One of the white ones thinks she's auditioning for something - struts around yelling at the top of her voice like she's something important.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Well she IS important! She's YOUR chicken and she wants the whole world to know what a lovely home she's got

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                                You Grapes often mention cabbage for Chooks. Mine just look at it in disgust. Can't get them to eat it, or cooked spud peelings.

I make it up to them with Meal Worms and Raisins, which they love.

By the way, Maureen how are the new ones?
                                The only thing my chooks like better than green brassica leaves (they aint too fussed on the inner white sections) is swede tops! So much so that I intend growing extra swedes next year..........the swedes are for me and the tops are for the chooks!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X