Hens and eggs help needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hens and eggs help needed

Hi we had 2 hens for the first time last summer but very few eggs. One of the hens started producing after about the first week we had her, about 1 egg every few days. The other only produced one egg in the whole summer. When they finally went to the table there were eggs inside them (of different sizes) but they just didnt come out. The hens were free range and fed on grain and scraps. What should I do different next year?
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Did you feed layers pellets/mash? If not I'd suggest it for next time as it has the right ingredients for laying hens. Too much grain can lead to fat birds which don't lay as much

Comment

Decide whether you want birds for eggs or for the table, then feed appropriately. There are some dual purpose birds and I'm sure somebody will be along soon to tell you which ones they are
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

As said, not too many treat or corn for layers. I tried to get one of mine nito lay as she was almost 35 weeks and hadn't laid anything! So I cut out all treats and just gave them layers pellets with grit. It made one of my bantams come nto lay and the girl I wanted to start laid her first egg yesterday!
        Meat birds can be fed on scraps or I think there are growers pellets (?). Not sure as I dont' have any meat birds myself. Hope you have better luck next time.

Comment

I have a friend who keeps a variety of different chooks, and she only feeds them corn. Her OH was complaining they don't get many eggs, perhaps that's why.

Mine don't get corn until they've finished their mash/pellets, and they're laying more.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine get pellets all day with corn only being given 1 hour before bedtime. Treats/scraps only given PM after they have filled up with pellets.

Comment

If you want birds for eggs and table use the Light Sussex is a good dual purpose breed. An egg takes quite a while to become mature inside a bird so you will tend to find them at different stages. They always say when people rescue battery hens, the first few eggs are battery eggs laid by a free bird.
              Last edited by Flummery; 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: added a bit
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                They always say when people rescue battery hens, the first few eggs are battery eggs laid by a free bird.
                Absolutely! The first few eggs always taste of fish, which I gather is an ingredient of the cheap-and-nasty layers' mash used in battery farms.
                Resistance is fertile

Comment

The hens we have are only for the summer the idea is that they provide eggs for the summer and then we eat the birds before we come back to this country. We bought them in May last year but could not establish a good laying pattern and they have a large area to roam over and forage. A local farmer said they were egg bound and we should put castor oil up.....!
                  Last edited by stella; 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM. Reason: change info
                  Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
                    Absolutely! The first few eggs always taste of fish, which I gather is an ingredient of the cheap-and-nasty layers' mash used in battery farms.
                    Not something I have noticed, and I have had about 20 ex-batts so far. If I have any more this year I'll be looking out for that!!!
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X