run size

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run size

I was wondering if someone could tell me if my 8ft x 7ft run is big enough for my 3 Warrens? Mostly they are allowed out to free range in the garden but with Spring approaching, I want them to remain in the run for a good part of the day to prevent them digging up all my veggies. Should I make the run bigger - they seem happy enough.

Sounds fine to me -
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

sounds fine to me too, I'm sure they'll be happy
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I'd agree it's fine as long as they can scratch about they'll be happy!

Comment

good good. I do worry about them being happy. Like an over-protective mother.

Comment

I think we all do! Yours have 18sqft per bird, that's loads! Mine have 12.8 and I want to make it bigger!

Comment

im going to be getting 2 more chickens to make my brood up to 4. im going to still use the eglu but i am going to construct a run for them so they can stay in there all the time. mine will be 14ft by 5 ft so they will get approx 17 sq ft per bird
              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

that's useful to know, looking to the future, if and when one of my birds dies, I would probably get 2 new ones to add to my remaining 2 (it is better to introduce an equal number of new ones, right??). So my run size might be big enough to accomodate 4.

I read recently that I shouldn't expect my Warrens to live all that long due to the stress of producing a high number of eggs. Does anyone know if this is right? They are almost 1 year old now and came from a farm, not ex-battery.
                Last edited by jennybain; 19-01-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

They don't live as long as pure breeds Jenny, but they've been known to get to 5 or so - even more in the odd case. They get far more TLC with a back-garden chicken-keeper than they would on any farm so they should be with you for some time yet.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X