Is a hard floor (slabs) ok for a run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a hard floor (slabs) ok for a run

I have a large hen house with joint run for sometime now. Late last year I lost all my hens with a fox strike. I use to let them free range you see and allow the girls out of the run all day.

Im getting some more EX BATS on Saturday and want to know if the floor is ok?. The run is well big enough for 4 hens and Im planning on putting down some saw dust and maybe some wood chip also.

Should I dig up some of the slabs to allow natural earth for them to scratch about more. Im also planning a small dust bath area within the run.

Im planning on keeping the hens in the run all day to prevent any fox attack. The run is well fox proof. I guess keeping the hens in the run is still luxury compared to what there have been used to?

Any thoughts?

Nick

It definately is a luxury and I'm suer they'll love it! Slabs are ok, but I would put wood chip over the top quite deep so they can really scratch about (when they learn how!). It's great for them and you just need to rake it over and top it up when it starts to decompose. People say they clear it out once I year. I haven't had mine that long, so haven't had to do it!

Comment

Thanks for that - I used to clean every month before although they were not tied to the run and they will be from next week. Im thinking of cleaning every fortnight. ANy idea why I can get wood chip from? B&Q?

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nickkelly55 View Post
        Thanks for that - I used to clean every month before although they were not tied to the run and they will be from next week. Im thinking of cleaning every fortnight. ANy idea why I can get wood chip from? B&Q?

Nick
        Try a tree surgeon for the wood chippings. On our allotment site the local tree surgeon delivers loads of it and it saves him having to dispose of it.
        Re. the run I think I'd be tempted to lift some of the slabs just to give them some soil to dig in once they get the hang of it, but only in the cantre as you don't want Foxy to be able to dig his way in. I have slabs round the outside of my runs as well as buried wire!
        Good luck with your ex-batts - they are a delight and always so grateful for any attention you give them.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
          Try a tree surgeon for the wood chippings. On our allotment site the local tree surgeon delivers loads of it and it saves him having to dispose of it.
          Re. the run I think I'd be tempted to lift some of the slabs just to give them some soil to dig in once they get the hang of it, but only in the cantre as you don't want Foxy to be able to dig his way in. I have slabs round the outside of my runs as well as buried wire!
          Good luck with your ex-batts - they are a delight and always so grateful for any attention you give them.
          Nothing to add to that! Word for word my exact feelings!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks all for the advice!

Cheers

NICK

Comment

B & Q do sell the wood chips, I have them, they last a long time (if you buy th ehard wood) and are good qualty, but are pricey. I haven't found a tree surgeon who'll let me have them yet, but will be chipping some trees of my own hoefully this week! Hope all goes well for you!

Comment

Hi, i rescued my 4 girls in October 08 and i love them. They are in a run as well, i use wood chips and i got them from The tree fella in rochford essex. £2 a bag. I also use gravel as it makes the run easier to keep clean. Good luck..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X