No announcement yet.

bit worried about chooks fighting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urmmm..well I've looked at my original piccies of my boys and girls at 16 weeks- and to be honest they were all different- maybe they vary from breed to breed, so you can't really properly compare them????

One thing I started to notice in retrospectwas that the 2 boys tail feathers were more upright than the gently sloping feathers of the girls.
    I put it down to their breed ( ie they are the same colour as each other- but different from the others) at the time- now I'm not so sure.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I loooove Pingu. Anyway back to fighting - when my girls have a scrap it often looks like a cock fight, seriously, they can go all at it, on toes neck stretched feathers fluffed, etc. I think it might not necessarily mean thay are all cockerels just a pecking order establishment - well I hope so
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Hmm well I wouldn't put money on it but Cocoa and Buttercup look likely boys, Elvira has a lovely hen shape but her red bits do look somewhat well developed for her age - especially as my cuckoo maran hen that is about 5 weeks older (hatched about 5th November) has much less comb and only a hint of lobe bits.... I would say Pheonix, Neva and Pingu are probably girls....

So basically I've helped you not at all <g> - sorry..

But they are all lovely wee birds.

Comment

lol corax yup it's elvira i'm confused by, mostly ..... up till now i've always assumed she was a girl, cos she always looked like a proper hen, way before the others, though she does have a couple of sticky up feathers on her bum at the moment, i'm hoping it's just a bad hair day coco and buttercup both have sticky up bums, but not really any doubt they are both boys....... still want phoenix to be a girl though, cos shes got such lovely feathers i'm gonna be soooooooo miffed if i have more than 2 boys, however cute they are.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
            lol corax yup it's elvira i'm confused by, mostly ..... up till now i've always assumed she was a girl, cos she always looked like a proper hen, way before the others, though she does have a couple of sticky up feathers on her bum at the moment, i'm hoping it's just a bad hair day coco and buttercup both have sticky up bums, but not really any doubt they are both boys....... still want phoenix to be a girl though, cos shes got such lovely feathers i'm gonna be soooooooo miffed if i have more than 2 boys, however cute they are.
            One of the theory goes if the tail feathers are squared off at the end its a girl and if they are pointy its a boy - but I'm not sold on it and I'm not sure where rounded comes lol....

Maybe Elvira is a little confused herself? I think she'll grow up as a fine bird which ever she is...

If I had to choose I'd say girl inspite of the evidence to the contrary... she just looks like a girl doesn't she?

Comment

She looks a bit like Betty at 20 weeks...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...let_23952.html

Comment

betty is the grey one?? ....... she does actually, maybe i'm worrying unnecessarily ....... they do seem to be very grown up lol, coco shouldn't really be crowing yet either, so maybe they are just forward chooks lol

I'll have a look at the tail feathers after i've made tea

Comment

Ahh...just yank out those sticky-up feathers..that should sort it out!!!!

Comment

Owwww - that's not nice lol!

Oooooh - just realised I'm a Cropper!

I soooo wanted my 1,000th post to be a proper gardening one - and I missed it lol!

Oh well, may as well carry on with the usual drivel then...
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

lol, i missed my 5000th post, so PW deleted some old threads ang got me back down to 4999 but i is SpeShUl

guess i could get the hair clippers out, totally painless ..... well maybe i'll just pretend the 4 of em are girls, and just ignore the crowing and give my neighbours ear plugs

Comment

Oh yes Lynda you really is speshul
                        Last edited by MaureenHall; 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM.
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X