No announcement yet.

Can a chicken catch a cold

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a fine line between draughts and ventilation! They reckon that it's fine if the 'draught' is high up - above their heads even when roosting. They do need a through-put of air. But it shouldn't blow directly on them. Don't block up all the holes! That's why commercially available chicken houses have ventilation at roof level or in the eaves.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      There's a fine line between draughts and ventilation! They reckon that it's fine if the 'draught' is high up - above their heads even when roosting. They do need a through-put of air. But it shouldn't blow directly on them. Don't block up all the holes! That's why commercially available chicken houses have ventilation at roof level or in the eaves.
      If you have Onduline roofing (or similar) it gives a natural ventilation through the ridges and helps keep red mite at bay as there are less places to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
        If you have Onduline roofing (or similar) it gives a natural ventilation through the ridges and helps keep red mite at bay as there are less places to hide.
        Onduline is great stuff, but PLEASE remember that it isn't rigid like corrugated iron!
        If the roof is not steep, you either need cross-members at relatively short intervals (a lot less than the 3 ft or so we see so often) or some kind of rigid sheeting underneath (OSB, plywood, or even chipboard) to prevent sagging.
        One warm day will soften the Onduline enough to seriously distort inadequately supported sheets.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

My Orpington’s seemed to pass it around a few months ago. I kept an eye on them One got something like conjunctivitis and I had to bath her eye for three mornings but after that she was fine – All cleared up now not a sneeze or wheeze to be heard.

Regards

Pat
          "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

One of my cockerels has a nasty sneeze and a rattly chest at the moment - this is a bad sign as it's been going on for a few weeks now. Usually chickens will get over these things - I've used Respite tonic which often wards nastier bugs off before they turn into a full-blown infection - but he's not getting any better, so he's off to the vet's for some Baytril. I think it's mycoplasm infection, which is bad news especially as I have chicks on the way (9 days to go and counting). Sadly, many chickens once they've had myco never really recover - so if he gets szeezy again, I'll have to cull him. Myco can also be carried and transferred to eggs so I am a bit worried

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by sootysue View Post
              Ginger, she of wobbly fame, seems to be sneezing quite a lot, and every now and then sounds slightly raspy, she doesn't have a runny nose and is bright eyed and bushy tailed, is eating ok and practising escapology on a regular basis. I have checked my chickens for the completely in experienced book, but everything descibed in there has far more nasty symptoms.
              According to Jane Eastoe's little red book 'Henkeeping' chickens can catch a cold. She recommends treatment from vets or pet shop and separating the bird.Check the coop for draughts etc. The book has really useful plain speaking info. It's been put together as part of a series by the National Trust and Country Living magazine.
              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X