No announcement yet.

soft egg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try putting obstacles in the way of the nest boxes at night. I've put cardboard boxes in mine, round about 4 in the afternoon when they've all finished laying for the day. They do get the hump a bit, and as I leave 1 empty for the old ladies, have you ever seen 6 chooks all try to squeeze into a space 18"x18"x18"? The other 7 are all on the perches watching the shenanigans
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I just got back from getting their next bag of pellets, but was fortunate enough to remember to askabout limestone flour... which they had at an amazing price of £3.50 for 3kg (That should last me... forever!)

Even thought I'd treat the girl's to some mixed corn too!
      They gonna love their mum no matter what.. I hope!

Comment

Ha ha, I was just gonna post that Frontier sell it, next time you are down PM me and you can pop in for coffee, we're a mile and a half from the A1....

Soft shells acn occur through premature laying if the hen gets a sudden shock like His Lordship switching on the lights at midnight in Chookenham cause he wanted sommat in the yard, causing a girl to fall off her perch and lay a premature egg (see Dambusters film - poultry farmer). Apparently the egg disappeared as the veloceraptors all leapt in
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

mmm, well i don't think it's perches, as I don't have any yet in the home.
          Note to self: get Perches very soon!

but i've giving them all a small amount of the flour and here's hoping tomorrow starts better than today.

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
            Try putting obstacles in the way of the nest boxes at night. I've put cardboard boxes in mine, round about 4 in the afternoon when they've all finished laying for the day. They do get the hump a bit, and as I leave 1 empty for the old ladies, have you ever seen 6 chooks all try to squeeze into a space 18"x18"x18"? The other 7 are all on the perches watching the shenanigans
            Think I may need to give this a go...mostly they all perch at night,but as some mornings the nestbox is full of poo,I know there's times when one sneaks a kip in there!:rolleyes
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I put my nest boxes up at night barring 2 so they can go early if they like, but they have all learned to perch pretty quickly and it means the eggs stay clean.
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

All ok today... Have an egg from all them this morning, so the flour must of worked a treat.

Thank you guys, I owe you yet again!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X