What is wrong with my hen?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    Hi Anne - Did you get her from a breeder who vaccinates them as day-olds or from someone who hatched a few themselves? Only asking because there is something that can make them stagger that are usually vaccinated for.
    I knew there would be a clever person along soon
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Haven't said what that thing is yet - don't want to frighten someone when it might be something much simpler. And as you know, I've only got 3.5 weeks' experience of chicken keeping!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        Haven't said what that thing is yet - don't want to frighten someone when it might be something much simpler. And as you know, I've only got 3.5 weeks' experience of chicken keeping!
        But many more of reading up!!!May still only be 3.5 weeks experience,but just as knowledgable(more so prob than me!)as the rest of us!!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Hi Flummery

Got them from a supplier who says they all go through a vaccination program, so hopefully she has been vaccinated against whatever horrible thing you think it might be! PLease enlighten me! Tried to get through to the supplier this afternoon to get their advice, but couldn't get through.

She seemed a bit perkier this afternoon, even tried to run when she realised it was time for their corn snack!! Guess we are all ruled by our stomachs!!

Comment

Anne and Flummery - The horrible staggery thing you are describing is Marek's disease, which she MAY have been vaccinated against. Check with your breeder. You don't say if she is a pure breed or a modern hybrid. Hybrids tend to be vaccinated, whilst a lot of breeders don't vaccinate pure breeds. Marek's is incurable, but usually affects chicks and growers, rather than mature laying birds. The following info is from one of my poultry books - " Marek's Disease - a fatal sporadically occurring illness ...... a kind of herpes virus. Infected animals show symptoms of paralysis that go hand in hand with contraction of the toes with legs stretching forward or backward. Sometimes it may take a couple of weeks or so but fowl with this disease always die. Some breeds are more susceptible to Marek's than others (Sebrights and Barnevelders). Other breeds eg Marans or Sumatra hardly ever go down with it."
            Sorry if (again) I seem to be the harbinger of doom, but in your hen's case Anne, I don't think it sounds like she has Marek's, and you can find out from your supplier if she was vaccinated. I can't find any reference immediately to hand re cerebral hernia but I'm sure if you Google it under "cerebral hernia in poultry" you will get some info.

Comment

Thanks RichmondHens

She is a hybrid, and I think she has been vaccinated against Mareks, but will check with the supplier tomorrow. I will try to google cerebral hernia and see what I come up with.

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking of RichmondHens, but didn't think it would be helpful to tell someone that and have them google it if the chicken had been vaccinated and it would scare them unnecessarily. I believe it has quite a long incubation period so could show up in a POL and I know a few people get their poultry from amateur breeders who don't vaccinate. I was just trying to clarify and eliminate it as a possibility.

Comment

Sorry everyone - didn't mean to scare anyone but am a practical person and would want to know straightaway what I was dealing with if it was one of my birds.

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!

Have just spoken to the supplier who confirmed that she has been vaccinated, so thank goodness it is not Marek's. However, she said one of their other chickens has had the same symptoms, and it was a stroke...unfortunately, not a lot can be done to help her.

So I will be taking her back, where they will administer medication and monitor her, but if it is confirmed as a stroke they will have to destroy her.

Not a happy start to chook keeping as we very quickly got very attached to all four of them, but on a positive note, the others won't have been infected with anything.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Anne but as you say, it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened and you have a breeder there who sounds like a responsible sort of person and you have three happy hens left. Are you planning to get a replacement?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Yes, we will...we have definitely got the chook-bug, and love having them around. I have to say as well that the supplier has been great, and obviously really cares for their birds. Wish there were more around like that!

Incidently, one of the others has just layed another enormous egg....weighing in at 85 -90 grams....ouch!! Brings tears to the eyes!

Comment

Sorry to hear that - I'm already very attached to my four - which I've only had for 4 weeks. Very good news that it isn't infectious though. Your others should be fit and healthy.

Comment

Gosh- well I'd never have even thought about either of those possibilities....thanks for your input folks..I'll certainly be keeping an eye on mine!

Hope she's fine Anne- and yes- what a caring breeder!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X