how long.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long.....

does it take for newbies to be accepted into the gang?

I took another 3 rescue from the little hen rescue about a month ago but they are still being picked on by the others - esp at feeding time. They all sleep together and are fine once they have settled in for the night but they get pecked by the others during the day, nothing too nasty, but not nice to see & would have expected the rivalry to have stopped by now. Funnily enough it's not the dominant hen that attacks - it's a couple of the others, although when she did (over a food issue) she went in talons first, luckily I was there to stop it!

I've had 3 lots of rescue girls over the past 4 years but don't recall this bullying carrying on for so long before
    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

I would have expected them to be well integrated after a month also, but then again what do I know...I keep faverolles...they are so laid back their horizontal!!

When I add new girls it usually takes a couple of weeks before they are part of the true pecking order. Mavis (our newest girl) still gets the hardest time, but that's just her position in the pecking order.

As long as they are not causing any injury to each other I'd just leave them to get on with it.
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

If its not aggressive its just the pecking order being established. I find my middle order girls are far more likely to have a scrap than the top order girls. The top hens just have to look at the others and they move away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
        does it take for newbies to be accepted into the gang?

I think you've been on the vine long enough for everyone to accept you by now Sunbeam!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X