Holiday time-chook care.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday time-chook care.

OH and I are of for a well earned break. 10 days in Turkey on our own and we can't wait but this means leaving my beloved girlies ( and much loved cat) in the care of my fairly sensible 19 year old. ( male and ok as long as not combined with alcohol!!) He does all the right things and is happy to take on job and I have asked fellow hen keeping neighbour that if there is a major disaster -egg boundness,or general sick looking hen- that he could contact her. She has happily supplied 'phone no. and said she would help but I am still anxious. How does everyone else cope with the odd occasions that happen to take us away from our little brood? I haven't even thought about the tomatoes yet!!
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

We used to spend 6 weeks at a time in Spain but since getting the chooks this has gone right down to a week at a time. Fortunately I do have a good neighbour and I would like to spend at least 3 weeks away this autumn. I will worry though. Not sure if I would trust a 19 year old. Mind you I was married at 17 and had 2 children by the time I was 20 and they survived!
    Have a lovely holiday and send regular texts as reminders.

Comment

I'm very lucky, I've got 2 daughters who are more than happy to come and chook-sit for me I've also got a nearby chook-keeping friend who'd come and see to them too. I still don't like to leave them for more than a week though!!
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Gawd I'm off with CB to Butlins Minehead for 4 nights leaving His Lordsip in charge god help us and the chooks..........
        Last edited by HayleyB; 28-06-2009, 10:19 PM. Reason: God is god and not go
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I'm in the same boat too! We're off for our annual pilgrimage (Land Roverers invasion of Northamptonshire) in a couple of weeks, my folks will be away part of the time too - not sure who to lumber with the job - after all, who do I know that wants 40 eggs in 4 days!?

The obvious answer is the neighbours, but they have chooks of their own!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            I'm in the same boat too! We're off for our annual pilgrimage (Land Roverers invasion of Northamptonshire) in a couple of weeks, my folks will be away part of the time too - not sure who to lumber with the job - after all, who do I know that wants 40 eggs in 4 days!?

The obvious answer is the neighbours, but they have chooks of their own!
            Well a few more isn't that difficult to look after is it and they could sell the eggs?
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Holidays?.....ho-li-days....wait a minute, I know this one...no, don't tell me...it's on the tip of my tongue.....ermmmm....

Nope, it's gone....what's a holiday again?

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                Gawd I'm off with CB to Butlins Minehead for 4 nights leaving His Lordsip in charge god help us and the chooks..........

You are brave! I loathe holiday camps.

Went with a friend to Butlins in Filey in 1981. I can remember her mum serving up fishfingers, chips, peas.....and thick brown gravy....as if it were yesterday. Oh jings....!!

Jules
                Last edited by julesapple; 29-06-2009, 08:52 AM.
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

It's a cheapo holiday this year, lack of sheckels means a boring summer for CB. So I'm doing Butlins where I haven't been since I was a kid and His Lordship is taking her camping to Islay in August.
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

does anyone do anything different other than leaving them with family / friends? I heard someone talking about chicken sitting service the other day but i am not sure if they were joking?

Comment

I'm sure there's someone out there that offers that service,just like they do the cat/dog siting service.It is a dilemma,isn't it and the one worry when keeping animals. We really do need a break and want to celebrate 10th anniversary,which was the last time we were away without the kiddies,so I'm thinking it's time for them to put a bit back. Being all grown up now and everything,but I am going to worry about my girls.Oh dear!!!!
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Cock and Pullet in Sharnbrook take chooks in as a holiday 'chook/duck kennel service' I joked with him about housing my lot I think his largest holiday pen could take a few though. The chooks stay in their own flocks with their own pens........
                        Hayley B

Comment

I have done 'chicken sitting' before... try the Omlet pages, they have lists of chicken sitters!

Comment

look on omlet - bit gutted nothing near me good idea for a business though!!

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                              Cock and Pullet in Sharnbrook take chooks in as a holiday 'chook/duck kennel service' I joked with him about housing my lot I think his largest holiday pen could take a few though. The chooks stay in their own flocks with their own pens........
                              The advert I saw for chicken sitting was £10 per hen per week. You'll need a mortgage Hayley!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X