Holiday time-chook care.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
    I'm sure there's someone out there that offers that service,just like they do the cat/dog siting service.It is a dilemma,isn't it and the one worry when keeping animals. We really do need a break and want to celebrate 10th anniversary,which was the last time we were away without the kiddies,so I'm thinking it's time for them to put a bit back. Being all grown up now and everything,but I am going to worry about my girls.Oh dear!!!!
    Lettucegrow, we used Woodside Animal Farm in Slip End (Nr Luton) last Oct. It was recommended from s'one on another forum who'd used the service.

It cost £1.50 per bird each day and they keep the girls in own pen. You can't see your girls in pen when they've taken them in unless you pay to go round the farm. They (say) will keep your eggs for you too if you let them know. We didn't know and suspect they sold our eggs amongst the others in the farm shop. They feed the girls too - you just tell 'em what they eat.

It's ok for a few days, but our girls were on "hols" for 3 wks - it works out being a bit costly. (We were only away for 2 weeks - they girls had a longer hol than us! )

Comment

If there's a neighbour on hand if called, I'm assuming it's more the possibility of something going wrong and the 19 year old not calling or not realising there's a problem. I could make two or three random, unanounced detours over to yours on the way home, just to check all is well, if that would set your mind at rest?

We've got the same issue in a few weeks, reliable friends are dropping in once a day, but they know as much about hen-keeping as I know about advanced neuclear physics so I'm also trying not to wibble. As for the veg patch and greenhouse, they'll just have to take their chances, as asking them to water stuff as well feels far too much like taking the mick. Then there's the worry that if they did water the veg, they wouldn't turn the tap off and the hosepipe would blow off spraying water everywhere at mains pressure for 24 hours. We're on a meter......
      Last edited by Hashette; 02-07-2009, 09:22 PM.
      http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
        The advert I saw for chicken sitting was £10 per hen per week. You'll need a mortgage Hayley!
        £380.......................... My mortgage is scary enough at the moment thanks
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My farmers wife friend lets them out in the morning and puts them away at night - and feeds the cat, and waters my plants inside and out if nec.

Another neighbour checks at lunchtime that the gals haven't flown out of the electrified area.
          Free eggs/choccies/ fruit and veg produce etc etc for all who help out. I return favours where I can!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Hashette View Post
            If there's a neighbour on hand if called, I'm assuming it's more the possibility of something going wrong and the 19 year old not calling or not realising there's a problem. I could make two or three random, unanounced detours over to yours on the way home, just to check all is well, if that would set your mind at rest?

We've got the same issue in a few weeks, reliable friends are dropping in once a day, but they know as much about hen-keeping as I know about advanced neuclear physics so I'm also trying not to wibble. As for the veg patch and greenhouse, they'll just have to take their chances, as asking them to water stuff as well feels far too much like taking the mick. Then there's the worry that if they did water the veg, they wouldn't turn the tap off and the hosepipe would blow off spraying water everywhere at mains pressure for 24 hours. We're on a meter......
            That's really kind of you Hashette. I think he is going be OK. Over the past few days I've come home from work and he's already given fresh water checked their shade is in place and he really enjoys the egg collection bit.His summer job gets him up about 5am and home 12-1 ish so it fits in with the girls early start. I think it was more the worry that one of them became egg bound or stops eating that worries me. There's a lady with hens just round the corner that has given her phone number and is happy for him to call in an emergency. He is quite a sensible 19 year old -not one to be out drinking every night etc-and lately he seems to be enjoying them as much as me. The look on his face was a picture though when I told him about poo collecting from the coop every day!!! I'll PM you later Hashette,thanks again.
            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X