Reducing the Fly population!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing the Fly population!

I wonder if anyone has any remedies for keeping flies out of the chicken area?
    Obviously keeping the area as clean as possible is the main one but does anyone have any good tips?
    I have been filling little mesh washing tablet bags with mint leaves and hanging the from the tree in the run, apparently flies don't like mint.

Edit: OMG! look how I've spelt FLY!!!!!! - Thank you MODs Mwwaaa!
    Last edited by lainey lou; 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

I use Hemcore in the coop and that's got citronella in it. Doesn't that help to keep the flies down too? I'm thinking about hanging bunches of mint from the ceiling in there too
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

There are an awful lot of flies in this weather but, apart from making sure there's nothing left in the chook area to go mouldy, I've just left them.

The girls love trying to catch them and it gives them some exercise. It's funny to watch too!

Jules
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I use Hemcore in the run and as it's covered it's rare to see a fly in there. Outside in the garden I have 4 fly traps. Gotcha do a bottle fly trap and also Red Top. It's claimed to catch 20,000 flies and although I've never counted them they do fill up and the flies queue up to get in and then can't get out. Other insects are not attracted to the bait.

Comment

But actually, the flies around are great for the hens to eat. I'm sure that's why their poo is so attractive to flies - it attracts a meal" for the hens. I'm sure it is as nature intended - do a smelly poo and you'll have plenty to eat!!

Comment

There's only one of my hens quick enough to catch the flies and she's just gone broody again! Flies are fine if you're out in the country but us townies don't want the neighbours to complain.

Comment

I've been sweeping up their runs twice a day since the weather's been warm,but missed a day at the weekend...there were swarms on Monday!....since the mites their coops get cleaned daily anyway.
              Ours sometimes attempt to catch a few,but the amount there are they seem to have lost interest!
              We've got loads of mint growing so I think tomorrow I'll try hanging a few bunches up,also the fly trap sounds appealing...off for a google now!
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I've been using these for the last 7/8 weeks, they work a treat.

RedTop FlyCatchers | Plagued by flies? - [Official website]

Comment

I was lucky enough to get these from Scats last year on BOGOF. The 'Gotcha' tops fit onto a 2ltr plastic milk bottle and were only £2.99 at local garden centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Moony Moon View Post
                    I've been using these for the last 7/8 weeks, they work a treat.

RedTop FlyCatchers | Plagued by flies? - [Official website]
                    I have something similar all around the lottie to try and keep the flies out of the chook runs. Working well so far and a success last year too.

Comment

Forsham Cottage Arks were trialling the Red Top fly traps in their horses fields when I used to work there. They sited the traps outside the boundary of the field (so the horses couldn't eat them!) and were really impressed by how many flies were caught and how few were bothering the horses.

Comment

I use wood chippings on the floor of my run (the type you get from chopped down trees), I get a lorry load every year (free...what a great word!) I leave it for about 3 months to give it a chance to start to decompose. It's free draining and when the 'droppings' from the hens fall on it, they dry up and start to break down straight away along with the hens turning it all over it seems to cure any fly problems! Another good thing about this is the chippings make a great topper to put on the veg plot and after roughly two years it's great to dig into the garden (especially with all the chicken droppings)

Comment

I don't seem to have a problem either. Easibed in the house seems to keep them at bay (especially if you remove all droppings daily) and I also use softwood chipping which, as Tiny says, help to break down the droppings (although I poo-pick the run at least twice a day too.)
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X