No announcement yet.

are chooks cost effective?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do my chickens (and cockerels) pay their way? Nahhhhhhhhhh They live in my back garden, produce the most beautiful eggs, talk to me when I go and sit with them, ask me if I've brought any treats back from the lottie when I come in the back gate, produce lots of free manure, eat my weeds, the list goes on!! Foodwise I use the same as Snadger, Farmgate, but I pay £5.50 a bag (cos I'm further south than him). I wouldn't use anything containing GM stuff. I've got 12 ex-battery which I paid a donation to the BHWT of £5 each (could have got them cheaper, but I want to support their charity). My 4 Bluebelle girls and 1 Bluebelle cockerel were £10 each. My 6 Welsummers were from 12 eggs I hatched out (hatched 8, sold 2 for £8) and they cost me £3.50 at a local market. The 3 week old chicks (5 of them) cost me £20 as eggs (bad hatch rate)

To be quite honest, I've never added up the costs in setting up chicken keeping any more than I added up the costs of getting my cat when I rescued her as a kitten. They're all my pets, and to have pets there's a cost involved. But they're worth it

I get about 6 eggs a day which is far more than I need, so I sell some at £1 for 6, and keep my family and friends supplied
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

When we took the plunge to go for the hens, I actually did an ROI calculation (Return on Investment). Although I "forgot" the capital cost of the coop and run and initial hens), it turned out that if we ate all the eggs ourselves, we'd break even. Of course, with 5 eggs per day, even our family of 6 struggled, so we sell them on... I now have regular "orders" for eggs from colleagues, which puts the hens into "profit". We are putting the "profit" to one side, as we will need to buy a new henhouse one day...

HOWEVER, the actual reason we got the hens was because we wanted to. (I'm sure if I took the ROI calculations to my bank manager as part of a business proposition, he'd shoot it down in flames)

Comment

Once you actually taste your own freshly laid egg you won't care whether or not it's cost effective. They are out of this world...AND...(it's a biggie) you'll know exactly what went in to that egg to produce it, and what welfare standards the birds who laid them have endured.

Makes the whole thing worthwhile...some things just can't have a price point!
        I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

and the smile on friend/family faces when you walk out the chicken house and hand them some newly laid eggs........priceless.....for everything else there's......well you know the other bit! Don't think it's about 'cost effective' - everyone else has covered it for me, it's all part of the self sufficiency 'bit' ....and it's just the best fun ever!

go for it

Comment

Well what could I possibly add???other than,Go for it...and,My how I loved "A Country Practice"
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

My ROI is worked out on an eggshell sheet, I have to prove to His Lordship my Laydees are not costing us any money and profit is acually a bonus......

Mind you, the rescued ducklings are getting total unadulterated love and full splendour for the new Duckingham Palace and grounds by His Lordship regardless of cost and our lack of sheckels 'cause he is in lurve
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My chickens are cheap to keep, the food is about £8 a bag (layers pellets), the four White Star hens were only £2.50 each (ex-commercial birds) my Light Sussex bantam came from an egg £4.35 for six and I paid £5.00 for my other bantam - Yeah chickens are cheap to keep.........NOT I forgot to mention building an incubator - cost £29 (which the thermostat died, so the other 11 eggs didn't hatch) the other four chicks @ £5.00 each that turned out to be cockerels! the feed bin £11 feed and water dispensers £20 and about £200 - £250 on wood and wire netting...No chickens are not cheap...
                But that first morning when you go and let your chickens out and you find your first egg....or you walk down the garden and they absolutely mad to see you...well (lump in the throat)...Chickens are worth every penny

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I use Farmgate layers pellets at £4.95 for 20Kg. It states on the packaging it is GM material free!

BOCM Pauls Farmgate Layers Pellets (Size: 20 kg)
                  The price for Farmgate is £7 a bag round here. There are a few places in this area who sell them and when I've quoted your price they've just laughed hysterically! However I'm still looking - more with hope than expectation as the price on the web-site is £6.75!!!!!
                  Last edited by Suechooks; 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                    The price for Farmgate is £7 a bag round here. There are a few places in this area who sell them and when I've quoted your price they've just laughed hysterically! However I'm still looking - with hope!!!!!
                    Knox and Hibkin Cornmarket at Swallwell!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Knox and Hibkin Cornmarket at Swallwell!
                      Possibly the cost of fuel from North Wales might just offset the saving!!!!!

Comment

Well if any of you are ever travelling on the M6 near J13, let me know because the place I get my feed from is about 2 minutes away from there. I'll give you directions and you can come round for a cuppa and a wee as well

Comment

Mine are Spillers Non GM and are normally £5.95 for 20kg but buy 10 save 50p a bag, for anyone local to me it's at Frontier Seed Merchants on the A1M at Sandy.
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                            Mine are Spillers Non GM and are normally £5.95 for 20kg but buy 10 save 50p a bag, for anyone local to me it's at Frontier Seed Merchants on the A1M at Sandy.
                            Oooh! Son-in-law makes frequent trips to Sandy on business. Wonder if he'd pick me a couple of bags up every time he goes.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I tell you I should get commission from that place
                              Hayley B

Comment

they might give you a free bag at Christmas Hayley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X