Bug Cruelty

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Cruelty

We moved the chicks home out of the back kitchen into the shed last night, they had been settled in just a few moments when a daddy-long-legs flew in and got scragged, following the ensuing rugby match and obvious enjoyment of the babies I started eyeing up another DLL banging its head off the wall.....

It lived to see an other day 'cos I was uncertain of the moral standing of throwing live DLL to the voracious pack....... Thoughts?
    Last edited by CoraxAurata; 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM.

Hey one big advantage of having chickens is that they get rid of bugs of every description, from slugs and snails to spiders and flies in my eyes they save me money on pesticides and saves me from getting bit by red ants!

Comment

The baby daddy long legs are leather jackets which will destroy large areas of your lawn......I'd have no second thoughts as to catching them and feeding them to the chooks!!!
      http://www.ruralni.gov.uk/print/leat...t_damage-2.jpg
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It might be kinder to swat the thing first, and offer it already dead (but still fluttering, usually lasts several seconds)
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Oh I'm delighted for them to eat the bugs, its me giving them to them alive that gave me a (small) twinge of guilt...

Comment

I can't swat them! (gooey bug gives me heebies - which since I'm not generally squamish is odd) I don't have D-L-L problems in the house because Bobby (the dog) thinks he's the great white hunter.....

Comment

Originally posted by CoraxAurata View Post
              I can't swat them! (gooey bug gives me heebies - which since I'm not generally squamish is odd) I don't have D-L-L problems in the house because Bobby (the dog) thinks he's the great white hunter.....

You can swat those things without squishing them!. Probably just causes concussion, but at least it isn't the same as delivering them alive and aware of their fate.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Don't be such a girl!
                Me, I pull the wings off cabbage whites. So there.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I can't stand daddy-long-legs! I'd give them with pleasure to my chooks, dead or alive (if I could bear to touch one that is!)
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Don't be such a girl!
                    Me, I pull the wings off cabbage whites. So there.
                    How do you catch them first two_sheds? They've been dancing round the veg beds all day!

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                    I can't stand daddy-long-legs! I'd give them with pleasure to my chooks, dead or alive (if I could bear to touch one that is!)
                    I'm with you on that one Mo......their dopey hand-banging gets me. That and the dive-bombing moths! (not to mention slimey slugs........scarey spiders with long hairy legs.........creepy caterpillars.........need I go on? )

Comment

Well, I'm happy for mine to eat slugs because the things would obviously be eating my veg if the chooks didn't get them first. I can't cope with spiders because well.....they've got all those legs... and they're huge... and they LURK. So if it's OK to eat slugs and spiders I can't really then complain if they eat a pretty butterfly, can I
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

We dug our duck pond last night and came across a few slugs which were lobbed over the wall into Chookenham yard, the girls were delirious (sp?)
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

He he -can now feed DDLs to babies knowing that if it means I'm going to hell I will have good company!

Comment

I'm with you Mo,I can't stand Daddy long legs, they give me the creeps. OH has to remove them from the room before I can enter- what is with the flying at you trick they do? Do you think they know they are scaring us? Apparently I used to keep them in my pockets when I was two(strange child!) So, go for it let them eat bugs! On the plus side it's hilarious seeing them try to catch the 'orrible things
                            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We had a Thai student staying with us when a DLL flew in. He got up screaming mosquito mosquito! I assured him it wasn't but if it had been I suppose you would be a bit alarmed at getting bitten by one that big!
                              Last edited by frias; 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X